Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Bilsteins from J Kennedy today. Was reading a post in another forum stating the front shocks had a little play on the tower due to too small bushings.

Anyone who has installed these, have you had the same problem, or is it not something to worry about?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
No problems on mine either. Mine are solid with no play. Is it a possible ESO problem?

·
Registered
212 Posts
No problem on the install on my 01, just tighten down the top nut until you see the rubber bushing bulge out.

Lightning -- Yes they do relax the shuddering. World of difference from the OME shocks. The OME"s are junk, if you pull one off you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After waiting two months mine shipped yesterday. I'll be installing them this weekend (or sooner)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had mine for @ 10,000 miles - great improvement over the stock shocks!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have had mine on for approx. 30,000 miles. Seem as good today as they were right after being installed. I think the ride is better but they are not a miracle cure. Best change I made to my 3500 was to take out the longest removable rear springs and add Air Lift Air Bags w/ onboard compressor .... Jim

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The person that had the problem stated he had a 1500HD. Maybe he just used the wrong shock. Will install them this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback,

Rich

·
Registered
540 Posts
No problem on mine. Love the shocks, smooth the highway pogo stick

·
Registered
626 Posts
No problems with mine, but I did drive them a day and then snug the nuts down again to make sure they were tight. My stock shocks were junk in 5K front and back. The new shocks were a great improvement and well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the Bilsteins today. I can't believe at 21K miles how shot the OEM shocks were. The truck seems to ride a little higher and doesn't seem to drift in the turns as before.

I tightened the front shocks once the truck was off the jacks and the tires back on. Seems like a tight fit to me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
btt,

Question for those who've installed them: It's my impression that the biggest gain from the Bilsteins would come from subduing the front. I'm wondering what you noticed as a gain in the rear, and if there rear made any difference - is it worth it to do the rear shocks too? Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
YES

Doing just one end of the truck is not a good idea to start out with as you end up with an unbalanced suspensension. But the shocks in the rear drastically cuts down on the pogo stick effect on the highway speed expansion strips.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Firstdiesel,
While I'm not sure I agree with your first statement about unbalanced suspension, I'll value the second portion. I wanted to know if you could feel an improvement in the rear, where the stiff springs seem to rule.

From what I feel in my stock suspension, it already feels very unbalanced due to the weight of the Duramax/Allison, although the "green keys" improved it. Also, in more than one arena of motorsports, it's not uncommon to have unmatching front/rear shocks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
But not stock vs aftermarket.

And trust me you will be AMAZED when you remove the stock shocks how bad they are. I replaced mine at 7.5k and I could almost move them in and out by hand with no resistance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok, once the wfie stops giving me dirty looks for the Edge/Attitude I just bought, the shocks are next.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
my stockers were blown also at 10k... bilsteins don't hop (like a washboard) the truck like the stockers did!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Joe E said:
FirstDiesel said:
But not stock vs aftermarket.

By the way, good point!

Actually I should have really sad worn out stock vs aftermarket!! :)

Trust me you would never want to match a new Bilstein with those POS shocks GM installs stock!Edited by: FirstDiesel

1 - 20 of 29 Posts