Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know this has been discussed, but I have to ask. My dealer put my 285's on for me, and the computer is corrected for the tire size. (Checked it out with a cop radar gun, but that is another story.) Anyway, my question is this, the dealer cranked on the torsion bars to level the truck. The ride is somewhat bouncy. I am sure this is attributed to the tightend torsions. Will putting a different shock in place of the OEM help this bouncing affect? I haven't check to see how much I have left on the torsion screws, so I don't know if they turned them all the way up or not. I know I have seen many talk about the Rancho's and the Bilstiens. Some Input please?

Thanx,
Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
I WOULD GO BILSTIENS WITH OUT QUESTION. I HAVE HAD TWO SETS OF RANCHO RS5000 SHOCKS THEY WORK WELL FOR ABOUT A YEAR, THEN THEY FEEL LIKE THE STOCK SHOCKS AGAIN (WELL NOT THAT BAD BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN). BILSTIENS COST TWICE AS MUCH BUT YOU GET TWICE THE SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
The jouncy ride is due to having the shocks put of their center point. I have 2" of torsion bar lift on the front and Bilsteins with a 1" spacer on the top. In other words, my Bilsteins are only 1" away from their normal center and the ride is like stock. However, if I go any higher I get the jounce as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know this was not one of your choices but the Edelbrock shocks are a hot seller at the local 4 wheel drive shop in Maryville, Illinois. The new Edelbrock customers have nothing but good things to say about the improved ride and handling. I think just upgrading from the junk Tennecos would be a big difference. I'd like to hear from the Explorer Pro Comp and and other aftermarket shock new customers also before I order my Edelbrocks.

Justin

Still looking for a good Edelbrock part number for a 2004 2500HD 4X4 on the Edelbrock shocks. Any 2004 owners have them yet?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Bilstiens !

I've had both and the little yellow shock will out perform the red one. Rancho makes a good shock for "off-Road" trailing and such but, not for the long haul. They will leak after time and become gusshy. Most of the Rancho dealers will tell you about the "adjustible" thing and how much stronger the larger shaft is.... That is a bunch of crap. The Bilstien shock is "made" specific "per" application, i.e. our trucks and will take it to the scrapyard.

The cost is not that bad. Twenty-five bucks more (maybe) per truck compared to the Rancho.

my .02 worth............

Burner-------------->

·
Registered
29 Posts
Burner,

Which model Bilsteins did you get? What are the part numbers and prices? Do you recommend anyone special to purchase them from? Thanks...

Justin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Got my Bilsteins from John Kennedy last week. Ordered late Monday, received from the big brown truck on Thursday. Installed on Friday, and been loving them ever since. $260.00 to your door. kennedydiesel.com

·
Registered
304 Posts
afp1 said:
The jouncy ride is due to having the shocks put of their center point. I have 2" of torsion bar lift on the front and Bilsteins with a 1" spacer on the top. In other words, my Bilsteins are only 1" away from their normal center and the ride is like stock. However, if I go any higher I get the jounce as well.

Can you elaborate a little on the spacers you mentioned above? Was this something you made or bought?

Thanks

·
Gear Head
299 Posts
I cranked my bars and installed Rancho RS5000
NOT impressed I don't see any ride difference Over the factory shock's maybe the bilstiens are better just my two cents Turbo6600

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
I personally plan on installing Rancho 9000's. They are ride adjustable and with regards to the other shock are WHITE and not yellow, so they do not stick out. The other thing that you have to realize it that pretty much all shocks are made with the same prinicple, just that with the higher dollar shocks different oil and compression are used. With the adjustable shocks you can control all of that for firmer or softer ride. Rancho's all the way.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
How much are the Ranchos and where's a good place to buy them?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow Guys...You have given me a lot to think about. I will let you know what I end up getting.

Thanx,
Bill

·
Registered
812 Posts
Someone should start a poll about the shocks. I would check the box that says I'm happy with the Bilstiens and why did GM decide to shortchange us with the OEM's. Just reminded me about the lack of an underhood light...........

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
I currently have the Bilsteins and am very happy with them. However, in a few months I will have the 4" Rancho lift installed. Because I have a full front end replacement, many folks have recommended I go with the multi shock set-up. Multi shock set-ups require softer valved shocks for obvious reasons. I doubt Bilstein makes shocks for the muti set-up, so I may have to run the Ranchos. Hopefully, the multi ranchos will be a step up from the single Bilsteins.

Comments, anyone?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had Rancho's in my 2000 Ford CC and I thought they rode worse than the stocks no matter what I set them at. I think they were just to firm and nothing to do with quality.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My thoughts with the Rancho shocks, is am I really going to crawl under the truck to make the adjustment? I still have stock OEM shocks at 10K miles, but will lean toward making a replacement before summer travel trailer season starts. There has been a lot of good things said in several threads about the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Larsonem, I'll agree about crawling under a muddy or incrusted truck changing the adjustments. However, Rancho does make an in-cab adjustment kit for the shocks.... just add money.

GMC2500HD, I call the Rancho shocks red because of their Lo-Go and the fact that the boot and sticker they come with are red, not ment to slam.

Burner

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Heck just do like me and run both. I use Rancho's out back so I can adjust them for with/without the fifth wheel (Ihave 2 young boys that fight to change the settings) and run the Bilsteins up front. I like em both.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts