Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed new torsion bar keys and still had a little bit of "bouncy" feel from the front end.

Tonight I installed the new Bilsteins I ordered and WHAT A IMPROVEMENT!! NOW the truck feels right!

Even if you leave your truck totally stock, I would HIGHLY suggest a shock upgrade. its easy to do yourself and only costs a couple three hundred bucks for a MUCH improved ride.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Felt the exact same way after I put on my Edelbrocks. @ 21K my stock shocks were well on there way out. It has been the best improvement I have made. Did you try to push in or pull out on your stock shocks after you removed them?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, as a matter of fact. After I removed the first front shock, I compared it to the replacement and it felt like the stock shock had 1/4th the resistance and took 3 times as long to rebound. Mind you, my stock shocks dont even have 1000 miles on them! I cant believe they put such crappy shocks on from the factory on a 7000+ lb. vehicle

·
Registered
31 Posts
2muchfun,

which bilsteins did you get and where did you order them from? do you have a part number? are they a little longer than the stock shocks?

thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DO NOT get the stock replacement yellow shocks if you are adjusting your torsion bars. You MUST get the 5100s up front. They are a couple three inches longer than stock (whereas the stock replacements form Bilstein are actually a bit shorter than stock!)

Its hard to read on the box and I cant quite see the number on the shocks, but I believe its:

F4-BF5-A197-H0 The only digits Im not sure of are the last two.

But on my invoice, they list the part number as: BIL BE5-6140-T5

Which is probably their part number for the pair of front shocks.

This place was refered to me directly from a Bilstein Technician. They actually have a Torsion bar Key and shock kit so they knew exactly what I needed when I called.

They are:

Off Road Unlimited

2102 W. Kenmere Avenue

Burbank, CA. 91504

818-563-DIRTEdited by: 2MuchFun

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I replaced mine at 400miles. I did not even have a chance to feel the factory ride. I did compair the compression on the rear shocks and there was a major difference. The factory sounding like it had air or sad in them. Bilsteins made a major difference in ride....at first I hated it but I guess they needed to brake-in...now they are great. No more rolling feel or nose drive in braking.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The Bilsteins are sooo much better than stock......

especially when towing
Edited by: Blinky

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They change the location of the cam on the bar so that you get a higher setpoint before loading them. This makes the front end a bit higher yet avoids the 'bounce' that you get by cranking the stock keys to the max. That place Offroad Unlimited offers a kit but you cant put the keys on yourself as theres a special tool needed plus you need to get an alignment. I had my keys put on for about $250 at a local shop which included alignment but not shocks.

A lift is actually the better way to go, but I only wanted enough room to clear the H2 tires..

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've noticed a number of folks have stated that they did not like the Bilsteins right after installing them. Why is that?

Overall, do the Bilsteins ride harsher?Edited by: Roegs

·
Registered
646 Posts
No, not harsher, but decidedly firmer. Relative body/wheel motion is much more controlled. If you like the wallowing, pillowy ride of the stock shocks, the Bilsteins may not be for you. However, if you like to think that body and wheels are actually connected and under control, you'll like Bilsteins, Ranchos, or about anything else!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts