Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a set of Bilstein shocks from Pro Am Auto (1-800-847-5712), for $259.80, total, ordered Monday and delivered Friday.

http://www.proamauto.com/

I installed them and then took an LA to San Fran trip. They make the truck feel tight like there's a good size load. The new Michelin 265 LTX M/S tires firmed it up too.

Very pleased with both ProAmAuto service and with the shocks.Edited by: Mr X

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just installed mine last week. My 2003 2500HD CC D/A has 9600 miles on it. The OEM shocks sucked from day one. Driving the country roads here, I would subconsciously brace myself for pogo stick bouncing after certain dips in the road.

When I installed the new Bilsteins, I noticed the difference between the OEM and the new, just compressing them against the shop floor. When I backed out of the shop I could feel the difference before I had gone 20 feet, because there is a little one inch ledge drop off at the door to the shop. One of the front OEM shocks won't even re-expand after I compress it, meaning it has already lost it's gas charge.

The Bilstein shocks are what this truck needs from day one. The ride is very comfortable and controlled. I enjoy driving the truck much more and I don't worry about hitting those country road dips and bumps.

These Bilsteins are probably the best advice available on this forum.

On a side note, has anyone tried taking the old OEM shocks back to the dealer and asking for warranty replacement? Might be good to have on hand if I trade. The Bilsteins will last forever from what I hear.

2fast2

·
Registered
772 Posts
Not much sense in taking the old OE shocks back. Even if the dealer agreed they were shot, he'd just give you another set of equally wonderful shocks. I suppose he could give you their equivalent in money, but what are you going to do with a buck-fifty?

TC

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love the Bilstein's, my next suspension improvement is going to be the bushings in the sway bars as well as other areas of the suspension. Those rubber bushing get worn out pretty quick. Rumor has it that Energ Suspension is going to put a bushing kit together for our trucks soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The consensus seems to be the Bilstein's. I keep seeing all the nice ads for the Edelbrock IAS shocks. Anyone have any experience with those for comparison?

·
Registered
600 Posts
You can go with a "sure thing" - the consensus of numerous people on this forum, or you can go with the Edelbrock. The latter could very well be a great shock, too. We KNOW the former is.

Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
100 Posts
OH GREAT!! Now even my love handles can dictate what options to get. When will it ever end??

·
Registered
35 Posts
dmaxerik said:
I love my new Bilstein's. My love handles don't jiggle anymore when going over bumpy roads.
Thats a lot more information than I want to know about.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have had both the Bilsteins and Edelbrock's and I will NEVER buy the Edelbrocks again! I had to replace them multiple times, aame thing happened to a buddy, the shop we purchased them from gave us our money back towards the Bilsteins. Edelbrock's rode great for about 200 highway miles then went soft, 1 shock came out in in 2 pieces.

Never had a problem with the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well for what it is worth I just put a set of Edelbrocks on my truck this past weekend. There area huge improvement over stock, but anything is better than the factory shocks which had 56000mi on them. The truck rides much more stable and a bit firmer, but not bad at all. The tires seem to stay in contact with the pavement much better now. I hope I don't have any problems with them like some have posted here. If I do than Bilsteins will be my next purchase. There are pics here if anyone is interested:

http://mct.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=3741&album=10196

Take care all.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts