Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the install in the driveway. I didn't remove any wheels. Didn't use any lift. Took about an hour and 15 minutes after I figured out which wrenches/sockets to use. 13/16 box and socket gets the rears (top and bottom) and the bottom front mounts. Cresent and vise grips gets the front top mount. I didn't get any instructions with them and was wondering how far to tighten the front top mount. I just bottomed them out on the threads!?!?

Headed for a test drive, but those stockers are really cheap....you push them in and they just stay compressed. BTW, they have less than 5K on them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I appreciate the info I just ordered a set from Kennedy Diesel and was wondering about installation my self.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The standard rule for stud mount shocks is to tighten until the rubber bulges to the diameter of the washer and no more.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks JK. I'll check them....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just installed mine too, I guess I'm a wuss. I had to jack up the front end a little to get the bottom of the shock lined up to the bolt hole. I didn't have any trouble compressing the OEM's, but the Bilsteins are stiff. Like my Crown Royal and Coke. Mike Z
:ro)

·
Registered
221 Posts
so are the bilsteines worth it? and do the make a steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just grunted alot....trying to compress the fronts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just took a short ride over some railroad tracks. The rear stays put better, IMHO. Don't know about a steering stabilizer...

·
Registered
159 Posts
What a stinkin JOKE, 4.8 K on the oem shocks and two of four were bad. That is shamefull on GM's part. Anyway just put my bilsteins on this afternoon, glad I did. Ride has tightened up but is not harsh. Whole suspension seems less rattley and more ballenced then before, especialy with the big tires. Anyway back to the OE's, front right was sorta bound up as compared to the front left, back right was completely loose very little comp damp and no rebound at all. Batten 50% at less then 5K miles, geez whats next.??

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I'd leave the stabilizer alone. There's no kick in the wheel as is, and I think if you add too much damping it will make the already marginal power steering weaker with the big tires.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
bilsteins definatly make a huge differance in ride and control.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
What are the Bilstein part numbers for the front and rear?
Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
These were the numbers off my 2002 2500HD, they will be the same for newer models.
Front BE5-6081-H0
Rear BE5-6082-H0

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Thanks!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
What are the Bilstein part numbers for the front and rear?
Thanks.
I've simplified the order process by listing them via application rather than part number.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Do you have them in stock right now?

I've simplified the order process by listing them via application rather than part number.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just recently installed mine. Save yourself the time and effort of removing/installing 16 lug nuts and leave your front wheels on. Just crank the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the side your replacing. There is plenty of room to access the bottom bolt this way.

And yes they are worth the money.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I didn't have to remove, jack up, or turn anything. But your application and technique may vary.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts