Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the best place to buy Bilstein shocks? I'm having a hard time finding them In Stock.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Everybody has the fronts in stock but they are all waiting for the rears from Bilstein.

Bilstein says they are looking at 10-27-03 for the rears. I ordered all four from shox.com... $59.95 each, $24 total shipping. I've ordered from them before and had excellent service.

They are located very close to Bilstein Company in California and make pickups there everyday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I figured that there was a reason why everyone is out.

Is there any harm in installing the fronts while waiting for rears?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I don't think that's a good idea. You never know what kind of handling characteristics you might get in an emergency situation. I'm waiting to do all four.

·
Registered
267 Posts
truckperformance.com has them in stock - all 4 corners, $58.99 per shock. Just ordered.

Edit: To reiterate what Tsckey said, I got an email with a Fedex tracking number 3 hours after I placed my order - very prompt (and did I mention IN STOCK!!!).Edited by: Joe E

·
Registered
772 Posts
As I mentioned on another thread, pickuptruck.com sells them as well for $58.99 and were very prompt when I ordered mine.

TC

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I have to thank you guys for straightening me out.

I cancelled the order from shox and reordered from pickuptruck.com

$58.99 each and only $10 shipping.... in stock. They only had eight rears left.

Saved $18 and no two week wait.

BTW:

truckperformance.com and pickuptruck.com are both the same end vendor.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey, what's up with that? I paid $19 in shipping, and I'm in MI - technically closer to CA than you!!! Outrageous I tell you!!! Oh well.

FWIW, I'm going to install the fronts first, and go for a drive to see the improvements with just the front and then compare with the rears added. I'm not convinced the rears are "necessary", for those looking for a *quick* fix/improvement. The rear is so light/stiff (unloadede) compared to the front that I'm not convinced the rears will make nearly as much difference - we'll see.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I just got the FEDEX tracking numbers... man that's fast.

I believe he gave me a break on shipping... just by the way he said it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
just called pickuptruck.com. there gonna check on the rears for my truck. anyone know where to get rears for a 3500, somones gotta have a set in stock somewhere.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Since there's a couple Bilstein threads, I'll put this post in both for search purposes:

Well, I got the shocks in on Friday. Put the fronts in Sat morning, and went for a long drive to see what the impact of front only. Front was much more controlled, and less "2nd" bounce form hitting the bumps, as stated from guys above.

But, as was suggested by FirstDiesel
, the rear felt REALLY squirly. The boucyness in the back was very pronounced, since it lacked the same control that the front now had. So, this made me feel very good that I got all 4.

Next, pulled the rears, only to find that one of them was wasted. So, this explained the REALLY significant difference noted, but still justified the new rears. Put them in, and went driving around again - very noticeable improvement from the rear.

I think ride is a little stiffer, but this is partly from the lack of "wallowing" that exists with the stock shocks. Overall, big improvement as everyone else has stated. I would have to recommend that anyone replacing the stock shocks, do all 4, as was recommended by others.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mine arrived today.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Off Road Wharehouse....took 5 days from Cali to PA!!!

Good price too....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for mentioning Offroadwarehouse, gradyghost. I was just going to mention them when I saw your post.
I also agree with different posts on here. Shocks were wasted by 7k. I only had 1 rear that had any life left, and it wasn't much. Of course, dealer disputed this because they didn't take them off, but I wouldn't want replacements unless they replaced with the bilstein's.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Has any one added the Bilsteins with the front end leveled? Just woundering if there is a differnent model number for the fronts?

If not what model number did everyone get?

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Leveling the fron does not change the travel, only the static position within the stock range, so the shocks are unchanged:

3500: front-#BE5-6081-HO

rear-#BE5-6501-H1

2500HD: front-#BE5-6081-HO

rear:-#BE5-6082-HO

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I ordered mine from Napa supply house here in town, dont know price, but they treat me well.. I know that Kennedy is a big distributer for them and he ships free on orders of all four shocks. Hindsite, I should have just gotten them from im....Hmm, maybe I will?

John, check you mail!

Eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, Eric Try PickupTruck.com $46ea plus $10 shipping for them. Thanks Again RD

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I just ordered mine yesturday from pickup truck for $46
he told me this price will not last and the there computer system sets it...he said they were over stocked.

As for the travel..thank you for clearing that up...someone told me to take one of the front shocks off and measure it. Then add 2" to the travel.
I just want to get the proper application for our truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts