Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to put something more aggressive on there... Was thinking 285/75's. Saw one today that had 305/75's on the stock rims. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
522 Posts
I went through this same question. I checked out many tire shops and was told the widest tire to mount on a stock rim was 265. Some said 285 was ok, and the rest said it would work but was pushing the limit pretty good.

A friend of mine has been running 285's on his stock rims now for 3 years now going through some fairly though terrain and hasn't had a problem at all!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I run a couple of sets of 285 BFG AT on stock rims and u should have to do any trimming just tie wrap the inners for clearance.

When I went to the 285-17 on H2 wheels, the wider rim and offset change,I had to trim the bottom of the airdam on my last GMC and the Chevy I have now didn't need as much but still had to cut 1/2" off the bottom corner.

So depending on how much u want to cut will dictate tire size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The biggest tires I have personally seen on the stock aluminum wheels were 305/70's. I saw the truck pull up, and when the owner came in the store I asked him about them. He said that the truck (02 Chevy 2500HD XCab, SB, 4X4) was completely stock, and it didn't rub or anything. I took a look at it when I got out of the DD, and they looked really sharp!

·
Registered
239 Posts
<font color="blue">Any idea what brand he was running with 305/70's would really like to know! If any body else is running this size on stock rim with out toubles ? would reallly like to know THANKS
</font>

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've ran LT305/70R16 for the last five years on Z-71's and Duramax's with no problems. The makes were BFG All-Terrains and Goodyear AT/S. Quit using the Goodyears b/c it is a softer rubber and they wear faster. No aftermarket lift or anything and they fit just fine, rubbed a little on the Z-71's and no rub on the d-max.

Rick

·
Registered
162 Posts
I put 265 Nitto's on my truck a recently and they work really well with the factory 16 X 6.5" wheels. Time will tell how the tread will wear. Hope to get 50,000 miles out of them. Here are a couple pics:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I guy who sold me my 265s told me they were to big for our wheels. He showed me the BFG book and sure enough they recommend a 7"-8.5" wheel.

But I got them anyway....just could not drive on 245s

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had 285 BFG's on my 2000 Z71 stock rims. Ran them for 2 years with no problems, no trimming, and no rubbing. When you go to a wider rim, then you start to get into clearance issues. I would say that either 265 or 285. 265 if you want to be safe.

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 285's on my stock rims and has the front end cranked to level the truck out! Works fine so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has not been mentioned yet, but how about a 255/85?. Are about 1/2 inch taller than the 285s, but narrower. Fits the OEM wheel fine, no rubbing or issues with uneven wear. Let me add that there are lots of guys running 285's and I've only heard a few complain about unusual wear. I happen to perfer the taller, narrower look.

I've had 255/85 Interco TrXus MT's for almost 2 years. Due to be replaced soon and will go with the same size in a different tire. The choices in 255 are limited compared to 265 or 285, but you can find any style of tire(Mud, AT, etc.) you want. Some manufacturers only produce that size in certain tires, an example, BFG AT's are not available, but MT's are. I'm leaning towards Cooper S/T's

·
Registered
29 Posts
305's on mine - 04 k2500 cc LT - u can go bigger but will need to tweak out your torsion bars-also front end alignment after that....

·
Registered
687 Posts
SWLA said:
Has not been mentioned yet, but how about a 255/85?.
Problem is....Not only are they only a "D" rated tire, they also are only a 3000lb tire.

I can easily max out a stock 245 with an "E" rating of 3042lbs.

The tire companies need to make bigger sizes of an "E" rated 3400+lb tire. I don't trust a "D" rated tire as I heard they can get squirmy when heavy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That is why I went with the Nitto's so I could get a 265 tire with an E load range. There are a few others tire companies out there that have a 265 tire with E load range. Cooper Tires and Bridgestone/Firestone. I am surprised there are not any 285's that come with an E load rating! At least I have not seen any. Nitto has a 305 that has and E load rating....

·
Registered
687 Posts
There's actually quite a few brands offering 265's with an E rating. Used to be Michelin was the ONLY one, now there is at least a Dozen different tires to choose from in this size, and most are 3415lb rated.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Some Michelin sources recommend 7" rims for the 265 LTX M/S "E" rated tires.

However, Costco mounts them on 6.5" rims. They state they will not mount any tire that does not meet manufacturer's specs and swear that mounting the Michelin 265's on 6.5" rims meets Michelin specs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lawnboy,

You are correct about the D rating, sorry I forgot to mention it. I was comfortable with the rating as I only pull small trailers at this point, no more than 2500 lbs. If I was pulling a heavier trailer, I would definitely go with E rated 265's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mr X,

I called Michelin about the 265 on a 6.5 rim, and was told that it was alright. Nothing bigger though. I still changed wheels to 8 inch as I frequently pull heavy loads and don't want anything to be iffy. That's why I went to the higher rated 265 to start with.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
162 Posts
Michelins are great tires, but were just a bit to pricey for my taste. Hopefully I will get decent life out of my Nitto's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts