Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the biggest tire i could put on the NBS 2wd with a leveling kit? I have 22" rims with 33s but i am looking for a slightly bigger tire with a heavier load rating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPs maybe i put this in the wrong section. sorry. but while its in here what would be the best leveling kit too. pitman and idlers, be a good idea? what about tie rods?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Cognito with all the strearing upgrades is the best i have hurd

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im guessing a cognito and the wheels i have are 10" wide with a +10 offset

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts

22x10 +10 is 5.9bs ... 5.9bs is alittle much for a Cognito UCA.

Is this the truck right here with the wheels?

Did you already crank up the trucks torsion bars and it still rubs?

If you already turned up the bars and you are looking for more height you need to look at the space of the travel between the UCA and frame stop.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent cranked my bars, as it sits it is stock. it only rubs slightly. i just want a tire that will fit that has a heavier load rating, these have a 2910lbs load rating and i dont think its enough and they will definitley wear fast with a heavy load on them. so you dont think i will be able to do a leveling kit? what do you suggest. obviously you know much better than i do. on that note i really appreciate your help in the matter

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
Your wheel is alittle wide and has alot of b.s./ great for the tire you have now.

Ideally you would want a 9" wide wheel and about 5"-5.5" to better ceter the tire and wheel in the wheel well and then you could do a Cognito leveling package and something like these-

Nitto Terra Grappler 285/50r22 3195lbs @80psi (33.23" tall x 11.54" Wide)

For where you are at now-

Now if you say you have not touched the bars then you can alittle bit. Need to address the short shock issue, but then turn the bars up to the point that you still maintain atleast 3/4" travel between the UCA and frame stop. The more distance/travel the better the ride.

I myself would not say to buy a leveling kit that includes "keys" and shock extenders for the reason you should have enough adjustment in you factory keys to get you in the bad zone.

If you read this and I loose you feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from what i understand the tires i have now are 32.6 and just slightly rub. so if i were to go to the grapplers i would rub more obviously. now i have heard adjusting the stock suspension would make the ride more harsh. have i heard right? i also heard some of the stock components are not too duarable, along with the tie rods. im still kinda lost on what to do. thanks for the patients with me on this.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
from what i understand the tires i have now are 32.6 (285/45r22's ?) and just slightly rub. I would agree because of the wheel spec. is why. so if i were to go to the grapplers i would rub more obviously. Yes now i have heard adjusting the stock suspension would make the ride more harsh. have i heard right? Yes * i also heard some of the stock components are not too duarable, along with the tie rods. Yes * im still kinda lost on what to do. thanks for the patients with me on this.
* Read this post about what happens to the IFS suspension when you turn up the torsion bars. There is a GREEN and RED area and once you know how it works you can better adjust per the GREEN area for the better ride. The post also shows what the next fix is (Cognito leveling package)

:( The only main problem I see is that you wheel has to much back spacing and will more than likely rub or hit the Cognito UCA. You may need to change the wheel.

Ok,

The Cognito UCA kit does not give you lift.

Here is what a stock GM UCA and factory frame stop should look like.
* This space will very on every truck that comes off the show room floor because GM sets there trucks up alittle deferent per what tire package they put on the truck.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 651x488 pixels and 48KB in size.

After you crank your bars up you start to loose rebound/drop out travel.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 651x488 pixels and 54KB in size.

When you turn your keys up you limit the travel first with your factory shock. Easy fix with extenders or longer shocks.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 651x488 pixels and 54KB in size.

After the shock you loose drop out travel between the UCA and frame stop. A bad ride at that point, metal to metal. You also get a bad factory ball joint angle that binds and will wear out fast. Also the factory UCA does not allow for correct alignment spec. most of the time.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 651x488 pixels and 58KB in size.

Turning your bars up are the number 1 upgrade GM owners do to get a little bigger tire under there trucks. So Cognito looked at the problems that occur and came up with there Cognito 2-3 leveling UCA kit. The bases is to correct ball joint angle and alignment specs. When testing there set up they found that the factory CV shafts will allow for alittle more drop out than factory allows. So when you find that the stance you get after cranking your bars is where you want your truck to sit and your ride has gone bad then you have ran out of drop out travel, the Cognito UCA will give you 2" more drop out from there to gain your ride back.​

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 651x488 pixels and 49KB in size.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 651x488 pixels and 48KB in size.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 651x488 pixels and 133KB in size.

ABOVE -Cognito 2-3" Leveling Kit, Cognito pitman & idler support, Idler pivot w/gusset, Bilsteins 5100's Front/Rear, 285/65r16 BFG M/T's on stock wheels
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is 650x488 pixels and 128KB in size.

ABOVE - Cognito 2-3" Leveling Kit, Cognito pitman & idler support, Idler pivot w/gusset, Bilsteins 5100's Front/Rear, Nitto Dune Grapplers ,18" KMC black HOSS wheels

Again does the Cognito UCA kit give you lift? No, it corrects the problems that occur when you level your truck with factory UCA.​

- For guys that are drag racing using 4wd and sled pullers, this kit is not for you because the CV angles are greater than you can use at that torq. when in 4wd. A 4" lift with a drop front diff. will work better since you will have level CV angles not cranked up.​

- Guys that are every day drivers and regular 4wd offroading, this kit is great for you to get bigger tires under the truck for a better look.​

- This kit works best with Bil5100's front and back.
- You can add a rear 1" block and u-bolt to raise the rear as well.​

Also look at this link:​

Hope this helps....​

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you very much for the info nick, i guess i have some decided to do. i dont think i can part with my wheels, i worked to hard to find them and get them how i wanted. I looked at those nittos and think i will go with them i just have to find a way to get them in there without sacrificing my ride quality. once again thank you and if you have anymore suggestions they are definitely welcome.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more question for you nick. If I were to crank my bars up a little and just get longer shocks would i be ok then. hopefully not stiffining my ride too much.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good stuff sounds good. would you suggest swapping the pitman and idlers? and what would different tie rods do for me? once again i cant thank you enough. i was almost about to buy the leveling kit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes it was, once again thanks and i will keep you posted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.