Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is hte largest tire you can fit on a stock wheel?? I have heard that the stock wheel is only 6 " wide. This can"t be true!!
Sorry its for a Dura Max Wheel

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stock wheel is only 6.5". Based on what I have been seeing is that most people would not recommend going any larger than a 265/75 R16 on the stock rims. Some people are running 285's on them but I have heard of alot of crowning due to the narrow rim size.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Two guys here at work are running a 305/70/16 and another is running a 315/75/16 on stock wheels. Have had them since the truck was new. Both have well over 25k on them. If you run the correct psi's, you will have normal tread wear.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
After 265s I think you will have to do some trim work so they will not rub. My friend has 285s and they rub durning hard turns. I am with you...the 6.5" wheel is really small and gives us nothing to work with and the 245s out of the box is just embrassing
....the stance and wheel size is my only real disappointment with my 4X4 HD truck.

We went with the 265 BFGs...VERY happy with them..VERY quite and GREAT traction!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I ran 285/75 AT and they wore fine but pulling trailers eat up the rear tires (dmax power).

I got around 35-40,000 miles on them but had them on 5 HD trucks so I lost count on the exact miles.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am running 265's and love the look, but still trying to get the correct tire pressures so as to not get any crowning. I am down to 45 psi in the rear when unloaded and I think I am close. This set is almost worn down thanks to the Juice....no it's not my foot... hehehehe

Hopefully I can get the pressures dialed in so I can avoid crowning on the next set of 265's....

According to the tire charts, the 265's are .5" too wide for the 6.5" stock PYO's.

Bob

·
Registered
414 Posts
The tires specs from GY, BFG, Bridgestone all indicate that 265's are not suited for 6.5" rims yet GM has been putting 265's on the 6.5" rims on 1/2 ton 4x4's for years straight from the factory. What gives? My skateboard tires will have 35K on them shortly after my upcoming cross-country run for the holidays and I am hoping by Spring to put some real tires on it. If I stay w/ stock rims, they'll be 265's. I would like to go with 16x8 rims, but I would like to keep the same Alcoa look, I like the look of the stock rims, I just wish they were 1.5'" wider. I don't want those H2 rims either, I don't like the look of them at all.

Tim

·
Registered
414 Posts
Professor,

Thanks for the info on the Weld rims.

As for the 1/2 ton rim width, I beg to differ. I owned a '91 GMC, and a '98 Chev, they both have/had 6.5" x16 6-bolt pattern rims. And the '98 came with 265 tires stock from the factory, on 6.5" wide rims...

Tim

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
305s..........last three 2500 trucks '99....'01....'02 all had or has 305 goodyear ats......on stock wheels(alum)the 215 stacked with the attitude comp shortens the life but man what a stripe they leave
Edited by: sdaver

·
Registered
211 Posts
luvthesmell,

I could be wrong. I measured a set off a 93 Z71 a few years ago and I remember them being 7". Now all I have ever messed with have been aluminum so the steel wheel may be 6.5 and I could still be wrong about the alloy wheels. I remember the subject of wheel width coming up before on pickuptruck.com and the 1500 guys saying they were 7.

Here is a gm link with specs showing the steel wheels are 6.5" and alloys are 7" GM data Funny part is that they are showing the aluminum/chrome 2500 wheels as being 7” We know that is wrong.

There are some wheels on ebay that are being advertised as 7"

Here is a wheel company with some 16x7 88-91 Take offs

Who knows? We may both be right/wrong!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
If you measure the outside of the wheel they will be 7" but the inside "bead to bead" is 6.5. Still does not make it right... half inch would make a big dif!

·
Registered
326 Posts
All the GM 1/2 ton rims I've ever seen have been 7". The HD's have the 6.5" ones.

I'm running 285's on my truck, but realistically they are a bit too big for the rim. Fortunately, I don't have any wear or handling problems. They don't rub either, and they've been on for almost 20K so far. I'm not worried.

A 265 should be just fine, regardless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts