Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
a 305-70 is the same as a 285-75 (it's a little wider). typically you don't want that wide of a tire on the stock wheel. I know tons of people have done it, but you'll pull the sidewalls in too much and possibly wear the centers out if you don't stay on top of the psi. there's no advantage to running the 305-70 other than wanting a tire that might not be available in the 285.

it's the width, not height, that you need to worry about. the stock wheels are only 6.5" wide.

hell my s10 has 37" tires on it, but they are 37x12.5-15 on a 15x8 wheel (with a beadlock :D )

· Premium Member
415 Posts
305 20mm wider than 285! Damn near an inch! Roughly same diameter though.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
i hear most reputable tire shops wont install over a 265 tire on our factory wheels. supposedly its a safety think something about the tire could come off the wheel. thats why I went with wider wheels when I upgraded my tires

· Registered
1,139 Posts
I have a buddywith 295's on his stock wheels and they look rediculous. I personnaly would be scared to pull anything heavy with them they look like they could pop off with one good pot hole or speed bump

· Registered
993 Posts
carcrafter22;1545214; said:
I have a buddywith 295's on his stock wheels and they look rediculous. I personnaly would be scared to pull anything heavy with them they look like they could pop off with one good pot hole or speed bump

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)

I can kind of see why they look ridiculous :flipa:

:cookoo:

:joke:

:D

· Registered
79 Posts
I am completely torn.....on which tires and size to buy....I am running out of time (tread), I guess it is mostly preference but I want an E-rated 285 mud terrain that is as quiet as an all-terrain.....I know I can't have the best of both worlds but it is soooo frustrating that a tire manufacturer can,t give me an E I said E rated MUD tire in a 285...yes they have them in a 265....WITH A SPEED RATING OF BETTER THAN A MEASLY Q. Before you guys BARK at me please understand what I am looking for....285/75/16 E-RATED MUD TIRE WITH A SPEED RATING OF R, I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE TO PROVE ME WRONG SO I CAN BUY 5 OF THEM AND GET ON WITH MY LIFE...LOL

· Registered
127 Posts
CDLBZ I hear ya. I've tried to find the same thing, just give up for now.
Goodrich makes the All Terrain T/A KO in a 315/70R17 E, which takes a larger and wider wheel. And Mickey Thompson makes some big E rated tires like 35x13.5R20.
My own opinion, I wouldn't put anything less than a E rating on a 3500 , it defeats the purpose. Plus extra wide tires on stock 6.5" rims is a safety hazard.

· Registered
152 Posts
I got 285s on stock rims and thats bout as big as you want to get before they start wearing in the middle really bad. I keep bout 40 lbs. in the front and 50 lbs. in the rear cause i do a lot of pulling. They clear good after doing some trimming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.