Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is the overall situation:

Truck has been trowing underboost codes of late. Had it to the dealer, they replaced a boost sensor on top of the turbo. Pulled out of the dealership and threw underboost code again. The truck is making NO low end boost, heavy smoke...

In addition, I took out my tuning and it runs even worse. Is a shimmed PRV harmful on a truck with stock tuning?? It seems as if it is because the truck really coughs when I try to accelerate.

I tried telling the dealer the situation as far as not making boost...but they didn't fix it. What does everyone think (Wastegate solenoid, maybe???). Hopefully nothing major!:help:

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Don't worry about the shimmed PRV.

Could be stuck vanes possibly could also be a bad PCM. I think you will have to let them go through their process. Hang tough, it could be a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is it isn't making any boost (1-2psi at WOT). It won't even pull itself up a hill with the cruise set. Feels like I'm driving a 3 cylinder metro:cool: !

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else?

·
Registered
204 Posts
do you know the code number? If you have the number i can get you a flow chart for the diagnosis from my manuals and from alldata.

-mike

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm having basically the same problems right now--I would have to guess that our problems are related.

My problems cropped up when I added the boost stick, but I really feel that was all unrelated--it was just a bad coincidence.

I think I've got a pretty good tech working on mine, and the trouble tree led him to replacing my ECM, which did no good.

They claim that the boost sensor in mine is good...

Next step they say is to replace the vane position sensor. I'll let you know how it all goes!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
i think it is your egr valve i know of 2 in my area that have been replaced in the last 2 weeks and their problem was no boost or power and alot of smoke i think the ege motor was stuck open in both of them. hope this helps

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I'd think egr or turbo is trashed.
Is the blocker plate still in?
Have u ever had 1500*+ pyro temps for an extended time?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never been 1500+ for extended periods, and the blocker plate is not in right now. Maybe an EGR thing...I hope it is something they can get worked out.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
put the plate in and see what happens.
If it fixes it then the egr is the problem.
If not it may be the turbo.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Didn't one of the members here have a similar problem, they replaced his turbo and a few other things and at the end it didn't change anything till they replaced the EGR , guess it was a stuck steeper motor... That member was stuck in some town called Cheyanne.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have also heard of a bad MAF sensor causing similar complaints. The sensor is still functioning, but not properly and yet it won't set a code.

Are you running a oiled type filter like a K&N? Oil contamination can take the MAF sensor out and is generally one of the last places techs will check (because of no code).

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, I do have an airaid intake w/ filter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some one in this forum just went through this, exactly the same symptoms.. ERG was stuck open..

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can throw this in:::::I have an 05 2500 4x4, edge w/att. Banks 4" exhaust. Initially I went with the settings on the edge, level 5 as set by the installer, at first no problems...just heavy smoke. About 1500 miles later the low boost code tripped. I started doing research on this site and discovered on California purchased trucks the EGR valve is alot more sensitive. I pulled the valve, cleaned it thoroughly and re-installed. Reset the computer...life is good for about 5 miles and again low boost code. again more research....I have dicovered running the edge on level 5 trans most responsive lets the motor defuel, or whatever it's doing, to much and it clogs the EGR. Pulled the EGR and replaced with a new NAPA bought piece, left the level on 3 and again I am a happy camper...Even Towing my 24' Toy hauler all over the west coast. Appox 22,00 miles worth. Again this is just my findings and perhaps "food for thought". oh by the way, I keep the first level in "tow" mode when pulling and level 1 for day to day driving.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I know this is going to sound too simple, but a friend with an 05 was throwing underboost codes and the problem ended up being a loose turbo hose. we were on the road and he started blowing smoke and couldn't get out of his own way. Anyway we ended up at a dealer and they checked everything. then the mechanic said lets just try to snug up the hoses a little more and that was all it took. The hoses actually seemed tight prior to the mechanic re-tightening. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All hoses and clamps are tight...thought of that a couple weaks ago:cool: !

Thanks for the help, keep 'um coming!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts