Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a single axle utility trailer with high sides. I saw a Big Tex and a Carry On brand. Anyone have any experience with either trailer?

Someone told me big tex won't last up in NJ due to he snow and and salt. Not sure if thats true either

TIA

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've had a Big Tex dump trailer for over 13 years and am very happy with it. It is a quality built trailer and haven't had any issues with it. I live in northern Illinois(RUSTBELT) and yes it has rust, but I do pull it year round. Overall it has held up and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. If you want a trailer that is not going to rust stick with aluminum.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Carry On is about the cheapest built trailer I have ever seen. I used to work for an equipment dealer who was also a trailer dealer for Carry On. I was always amazed at how poorly built they were. I would never buy a Carry On!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some of the lower end big tex trailers and painted instead of powder coat. Either way they are great trailers but I would prefer powder coated. The painted is a baked-on enamel from what ive heard but have no experience with them. We had a cheap painted (spray painted) trailer and it rusted and looked bad quick. Then we sold that junk and got a powdercoated PJ GN. After the same amount of time the PJ still looks brand new (no doubt that a big tex would as well, they seem to be the same quality). I now have two PJ trailers, a 15k GN and 7k bumper, both tandems.

I have never lived up north though so take that for what its worth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had a Carry-On for a couple years. Never used it in the snow. Had to do a complete repaint before I sold it. No primer from the factory and the thinnest black paint they could put on it. Looked like crap after only a couple years....Nutz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts