Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used GMC 2500 HD D/A last week. Got a dealer warranty with the truck. When I test drove the truck I noticed a surging idle and an erratic fule gauge. Had the dealer write it up so that those issues would be fixed without any deductible being applied. Fast forward to today. Ran some errands and when I came out to the parking lot there was a nice big puddle of fuel under the truck - at least a quart. Looked to be coming from the area around the front cross member but couldn't get eyes on it to see exactly where it was originating. Drove it home a few miles and let it sit. No leakage. But, when the rain dried from last night I noticed another spot where I had it parked overnight. Any ideas? Could an injector be getting stuck open intermittently dumping fuel into the crankcase and then out an overflow somewhere? I'm admittedly very much a newbie to this so please excuse me if that is a dumb suggestion. As of now it's going back to the dealer in the morning - I just would like to know what I should be looking for in the event I get one of those "Gee we couldn't find anything wrong with it" replies from the service department. I haven't dealt with these guys yet so my expectations are low, lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. Used the search function and found mention of this same problem as possibly being a fuel rail leak. Truck runs and drives fine other than the mentioned idle and fuel gauge issues. Still open to any other suggestion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check your oil dip stick, if fuel dumped into the crankcase you will be able to tell by the level, and smell of diesel if any did go in that direction.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
easymon4u said:
Check your oil dip stick, if fuel dumped into the crankcase you will be able to tell by the level, and smell of diesel if any did go in that direction.

[smacking myself on the head for not thinking of that myself]

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Dutch

There was some problems with the fuel rail pressure sensor leaking ... That is more than likely it ...Mine just let go it was obvious ...

The dealer should be able to correctly diagnose and repair ...

Mac

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I feel a bit better informed heading in to the dealership tomorrow.

Mac - Did you get any warning lights on the dash when it let go? Or was it business as usual?

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Dutch110 said:
Thanks guys. I feel a bit better informed heading in to the dealership tomorrow.

Mac - Did you get any warning lights on the dash when it let go? Or was it business as usual?

He had to give out 12 free car wash coupons...........

T
NY

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Dutch110 said:

For me it was business as usual .... I have heard others have set codes tho ....

Mac

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dutch110 said:
Could an injector be getting stuck open intermittently dumping fuel into the crankcase and then out an overflow somewhere?

This is one time I hate being right. Bought the truck on Wednesday, injectors go bad on Saturday. They stuck open and dumped fuel in to the crankcase. I am HATING life.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dutch110. I hope they get you fixed up no problem.

Steve

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Steve (by the way, is that YZF-R1 user name motorcycle related?) I bought it from Jones GMC and that is who is doing the service work. Got a call from my salesman today and he told me he had talked to the service manager. He said "Don't worry, we will take care of it." Now all I need to do is find out if their version of "it" and my version are the same version. I want all the injectors replaced. I'm sure they are only going to want to replace the faulty ones. We shall see.

·
Registered
692 Posts
if it is from the injectors all 8 will be replaced acording to new tech bulliten.but external leaks are external. you said front cross member. to not get signals mixed are you talking the cross member behing the engine or below the engine. not in front near the front diff. if the leak is rearward of the motor. it sounds like a pump leaking of a fitting.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patrick - The service department confirmed today it was several bad injectors sticking open and dumping fuel into the crankcase. When I first noticed it the fuel was dripping from the cross member behind the engine. My bad. I forgot there was another one closer to the front of the truck. Probably had something to do with my blood pressure being somewhat elevated at the time, lol.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dutch110 - I hear that the Dmax man at Jones is pretty good and he also owns one. They have told me before that they have done "pretty many" injectors, so at least they should be well versed in the routine. Mine was built mid March '02 and no problems so far. I do however run a MEGA filter and FPPF Total Power every tank. I also purchased there.

Yes, I owned a '97 YZF1000R. They were built for 2 years and imported to the USA only in '97. The predecessor to the R1. I'm sure the most amazing machine I will ever have had the pleasure to own. Absolutely stunning technology for a measly 10 grand. However, I have a CDL, we have crappy roads, no tracks close by, and I just can't go down through Pequea at 175 mph. Nowhere to use it. Sold it and have a little Honda 600 Shadow to bop around the country roads on. A sport bike is just not comfy at 35 to 45 mph, and a passenger is out of the question for any length of time. (my wife) A female passenger on a road test of a sport bike in a magazine once said: "There are times when having your knees up at your ears are fun, but this isn't one of them."

Steve

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve - I agree with you on Jones. Just got off the phone with the service manager and they are replacing the injectors under warranty. The truck has over 100k on it so I am assuming they might be eating the cost on it. Either way they are treating me right and I will go back to them for service work in the future.

I race an R6 in WERA and am the Mid Atlantic Director for the Northeast Sportbike Association (NESBA.) NESBA runs track days all over the country. Wish you still had the Thundercat. I'd twist your arm into coming out with us.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The crancase vent is up front on the pass side. Probably spews out of there when the injectors "fillerup".

The good thing is the DMax handles the diluted fuel quite well and the turbos don't seem any worse for wear. Get the new injectors an love life.
Also make them replace the rail pressure control valve that's mounted on the high pressure fuel pump. It's also what causes a surging idle. 01's are known for it.

Dutch I was in Quarryville Sunday.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hoot! What the heck were you doing in Quarryville on a Sunday?? Block shoot? Possum eating contest? I know the tractor pulls don't run on Sunday.
The wife and I have actually been looking to buy some property down that way. Still relatively undeveloped compared to the rest of the county. I used to belong to the gun club down there and shoot trap. It's right accross from the golf course, hehhehheh.

Good info on the surging idle. They are going to keep the truck for a few days and correct the other items on my "hit list" under warranty (surging idle and erratic fuel gauge being two of them.)

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
My brother lives accross from the golf course.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hoot said:
My brother lives accross from the golf course.

Best friend's brother in High School lived in that developmet. You were probably about 10 miles from my house.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts