Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there fellow 6.5 types.
I have a 1994 k2500 6.5 turbo HD long bed extended cab with an automatic in it, and 275k on the clock.
I have kept it pretty decently maintained, just put new front brakes on it last week, and had all the fluids changed just last month, except the coolant, which I will do soon....

My question is, what is the consensus on needed modifications to add a truck bed slide in camper like the photos to it?
The camper weights 2800 lbs loaded, but then I wanna stick a motorcycle on the front hitch and bikes on the back and other toys on the camper top.

I am already thinking about airbags for the rear suspension, but what would we think for the front?

My other worries are transmission and engine cooling upgrades?
I have never owned one of these before so I would love any and all advice...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I have a 1/2 ton 6.5 WT, and haul a Lance 825 self contained Camper + tow a toy that weighs about 1500 LBS.
I put Hellwig 2K lbs overloads on the rear. Plus all the mods in my sig line. It does very well. Have no issues. Cooling system is clean, all stock with Dexcool. I do a lot of mountain and dirt road driving.
All I did to the front was. Crank up the T bars to the max height allowed as per GM shop manual and Rancho RS5000 shocks on all four corners. You can see in the pic below my truck sits pretty level with a load on.
If you do crank up the T bars you must get the truck front end aligned. New better than stock shocks also highly recomended.

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
314 Posts
looks perfect! I'd love to find a 6.2 / 6.5 truck. Just not many in Michigan.

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
This is what my truck looked like when I retired and moved from California back in 2013..
12ft. Elkhart slide in..
truck.jpg

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Now that camper, fits the title of this thread.:)

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 5 of 5 Posts