Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to give a report about these tires. After a long discussion and then finally settling on giving them a try, here ism y 4,000 mile report.

I was not too sure about these tires upon them being put on, they floated down the road and was hard to handle at first, but once I got about 500 miles on them, they settled down and right now they are just like any other tire I have had as far as handling and feel. They ride really smooth and fairly quiet for such an agressive tread pattern.

We had about 6 to 8 inches of snow here in the West PA, northern WV area about a week ago and my truck was like a tank through the snow. I had a little bit of spinning in 2 wd, but I do not have any weight in the bed so when I switched to 4wd, it was a tank. I could drive at easily 45 mph on our curvey roads here and had no trouble with grip. I am really impressed with the traction of these tires in the snow. I am glad I bought these.

The other concern I had with them, was with such a deep tread pattern, I was afraid they would get too hot on the interstate and cause severe wear issue like the BFG All Terrains I have had in the past. So far, I have not been able to measure any wear at all, as far as my gauge goes, the tread depth is exactly where it was at the time of purchase or very near it, so the wear is really good. I had measurable wear with the BFG AT in the past at 5,000 miles and they would be no good in the snow at around 20,000 to 25,000 miles, so it looks like these BFG Commercials are going to last longer, I hope.

I would easily recommend these tires ot any one that has the same requiremnets from tires as I do. I put 45,000 miles a year on my truck. I travel a lot on the interstate year round and need a great long lasting tire for that. I run differnet tires in the winter than I do in the summer due to the fact that these trucks are soo heavy and the tires get really hot in the summer and wear quickly, so the BFG ATs I had run in the past were no good year around. I also needed a tire that would handle snow as herein WV we usually get a lot of it mixed with some ice and thie past week the tires proved to be worthy of my $140 a piece. Once March rolls around, I switch to Michelin LTX M/S for the summer months and I have had great wear and this will be the 3rd summer on the same LTXs.

So I think I may have found my new winter tire. I am not saying that you have to buy these, but I am very pleased and look forward to seeing after I put another 10,000 miles on these before the end of March, just how much read is worn by then to see if I can get 3 seasons out of these.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the info. All of us need as much information as we can get when it comes to purchasing tires for our trucks. Just my 2bits. David

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thanks for the info. Those of us who run different tires in winter need more season specific info.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Thanks. I may deffinately look into these for my next set of winter tires....after the sucky 245's wear out.

Actually...I just looked at a picture. We have these on one of our work trucks. I thought they may be different sinse you called the tread pattern aggressive. To me that's not aggressive, but I like offroad tires. Anyways...they do, do very well in the snow and get good mileage...dunno how good yet sinse we're still on the first set but if I had to guess...50,000+

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What is the load range of these tires?

·
Registered
924 Posts
If they are in the e range id probally get some.Been kinda lookin fer new tires for off rd use and hwy use.Good report.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the 245s and they are E range.
They make 2 Commercial TAs, one is the all season and the ones I got are new and called Traction model. i do consider the Traction model aggressive as they are sipped heavily and the tread depth is 18/32nds deep. Dude that is way deeper than anything I have seen and they are very good in the snow and ice. We just got dumped on here again and more coming and I have had no troubles. They have 235, 245 and 265 in E range.

I am very impressed, the only issue I have left is wear. I have to drive to Birmingham next week for the Bassmasters Classic and that will be about a 1500 mile round trip and it will be much warmer down there and I will have about 2000 lbs in the bed so it will be loaded fairly well. So when I get back I will measure them again and see how much wear I got. That will be 5,000 miles on them from new and they definately showed show measurable wear in that amount of time. I will post a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just took my BFG Traction tire off. You can see pics of them in my garage. I agree that they are great tires in the snow and off road. Mine are about half worn and got pretty noisy. They are quieter than some but more noise than I wanted because my truck was running out of warranty and I thought a wheel bearing could be going bad. I put new BFG Long Mile on and they are much quieted and the bearings sound fine. I will put them back on next winter. I would recommend Sam's Club as a place to purchase as they give free balancing and rotation and the aggressive tire certainly need it to get the best performance. They also Had a good price.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just gave my Commericial Traction TAs the snow test - and they passed with flying colors.:ro) Good on unplowed rutted country roads with 14"+ (4WD). The truck dug in and got going. We're having our first real snowstorm here this year.:D . Looks like it'll be over 2 feet by late tonight.

Great tires.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Went and looked at the tires to day and like the tread pattern.Looks to be it will toss some mud.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah, our work truck has the other pattern. They do ok in the snow but nothing spectacular.

Thanks for the pic...those are pretty aggressive.

If you're looking for strictly a winter/snow tire...these cooper discoverer M+S do extreamely well. I rode with my buddy the other day plowing and he could take off in 2wd with very little spin. It helped me decide on those for my next winter tires.:cool: Check out all the sipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts