Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have the BFG Commercial T/A All Season tires on their truck? I'm looking at the stock tire size of 225/75R16 (which is fine for me).

I can get these at CostCo for $123 each out the door. They come with a 50,000 mile tread warranty and are load range "E". I need 6, of course. Price includes everthing including Nitrogen fill.

Looking for feedback on noise, ride, handling, general thoughts. I have to watch my $'s wisely and looks like a OK deal.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
682 Posts
Mike,

I have been using BFG's for years now and they seemed like a decent tire. However, I recently put some Toyo Open Country 10 ply tires on my 250HD. They have a more aggressive tread than the all season that you are looking at. For me, that is a good thing. The tires were about $175.00 out the door and I don;t know anything about nitro so I probably did not get it. Les Shaub was the tire shop.

Good Luck,

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
we are using the BFG Commerical all season on a 2wd 3/4 ton 88 suburban. they are holding up very nicely. seem to be good handling and good in wet weather. a great street tire. i believe tire size is 235/85/R16E. we are talking about differnt size tires, but there isnt any noise on these. as for handling..no tire really has seemed different to me so i cant say, seems okay to me. seems to hold weight good, afterall it is load range e on a heavy weight supporting size anyways. id reccomend them then for sure.

if you wanted more agressive but simular to that, its brother is the BFG Commerical Traction tire. Im running that on my 85 pickup in 245/75/R16E(only because the 265/75 isnt out yet)and I also think its great. picture of that tire on my garage. both prices are very good. if i remember right the all season was like $87 a pop and my traction version was like $107 a pop at the local sams club.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mike,

I've had 16-245-70E BFG Commercial Traction T/A tires on the truck for about a month. So far so good. Good handling wet or dry pavement. Very good in snow. Haven't used in mud or fields yet. The ride is fairly stiff but not rough - hey, it's an E range tire. There is some tread noise because of the lugs, but it's not too loud. I bought them because they had sipes in the tread lugs - better for ice & snow. Plus the price seemed like a good deal at $125 each out the door, including a 50,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input!

I read in another thread the use of "beads" to balance the tires. Here's the link:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

Think I'll use these with my Ultra alloy wheels and new tires as the claim is you don't need wheel weights with this bead product. We'll see how well it works!

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
663 Posts
Are the Commercial Traction T/A tires something I can get at any BFG dealer, or are they like a WalMart/Sam's housebrand tire? I'm stopping in the morning before I head to Michigan to get rid of the stock Bridgestones and am looking for a tire with decent mud traction but also siped for the slippery stuff. I had Dunlop Rover R/T's on my Z71 and really liked them although they are a bit noisy for some tastes. They were louder than my Flowmaster above about 45 mph!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I got 245 75R 16s BFG Commercial ATs on my 05 and they are great in snow. They have a pretty agressive tread. A little noise but not bad. I got them at Sam's club but they are a standard BFG tire and tread pattern.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
I second the all of the post above. also they are molded for studs to give maxium snow performance..if you need that

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sam's club also has road hazzard and life time rotation and balancing. They also told me that if one tire went bad and they couldn't get a matching tire that they would adjust all 4 tires. I think it is hard to beat their warantee and customer satisfaction policy. I have pics in my garage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't put those tiny little 225/75's on a Dually. I'm on my 3rd dually in 9 years. I've put the bigger 235/85-16's on every one of them.

Here's a before-n-after pic of my latest truck. ('00 4x4)
In the bottom pics, you can see the 235/85-16 BFG Commercial T/A's. I also had these exact same tires on a 2WD '91 Chevy Dually. They fit perfect, and fill the wheelwells nicely.

And.... Here's what my '91 2WD looked like with 235/85-16 BFG Commercial T/A's on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had the Traction version installed on my truck Friday before I left town. I haven't had an opportunity to get off the road with them yet, but they look they will do the job for all but the biggest mud holes. Very little noise on the road as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts