Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've picked up a vibration in my truck that seems to be tire related. I've had them all rebalanced. The rebalancing doesn't make any difference. As I rotate them from front to back it follows the tires. Next will be to rotate one at a time forward. I've got approx. 15,000 miles on my 285 ATs. I sort of remember someone else talking about this once before. Anybody have a similar experience?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I have. Here's what I've gone through so far...

265/75-16 BFG AT/KO on American Racing Baja rims.

When I first noticed it (roughly 5000 miles on new tires) the vibration in the steering wheel was noticable between 45-50 MPH. It always seemed to occur on the same part of the highway just after I pulled out from my house and nowhere else, I thought it was just the road surface on that particular highway that caused it.

One day a couple of weeks later the steering wheel wiggle turned into a violent shake. I continued on down the highway for a couple more miles, and noticed the shake came and went in intensity a few times then completely disappeared. I went up and down that highway two more times without even the slightest hint of a wiggle in the steering wheel. So much for the road surface theory.

I figured it might be a tire out of balance or flat spots in the tires after being parked overnight. If it was out of balance, the wiggle/shake would happen more consistently. Perhaps flat spots that go away after the tires warm up? Maybe, if I had left it parked a couple of weeks, but I doubt being parked overnight would cause flat spots.

I took my truck to a tire shop and the guy said there was some abnormal wear on the inside of the front tires that may be causing the shake. He also said he suspected my alignment was a bit off causing the abnormal wear. So, I had him check the balance on all 4 (all turned out to be well balanced), rotate the tires, and passed on the realignment for the time being. After the rotation the steering wheel shake went way.

Fast-forward to 5000 miles later. I rotated the tires and that very same day the steering wheel shake returned as bad as ever, and it came and went as before. So, I head back to the tire shop and find out that the two rims currently on the rear axle are slightly out of round. Not terribly so, but perhaps enough that those two on the same axle "resonated" every so often (slightly different tire diameters) causing the shake to come and go. Right now I'm on two loaner rims of the same type and the same tires. 3 weeks, and a few hundred miles and no problems so far.

Odd that the apparent perpetrators on the rear axle were causing shake in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My father had that same problem with 265/75/16 firstone steeltechs.... Firestone finally replaced all his tires and its fine now... Sure is goofy when it happens...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts