Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided on a new set of tires. I will be getting the BFG AT in the 265/75/16 size. I can't decide on whether I should get them in load range D or E. I only tow a 6000lbs. travel trailer in the summer months and am unladen the rest of the year. Two concerns here, the D's are 16/32 tread depth, the E's are 15/32. As well, winters get pretty bad here and the E's do not have the RAC rating for severe winter weather, but the D's do. My question is what should be my primary concern: the load range E for the minimal towing I do, or the D which gets me the slightly deeper tread and RAC rating, but at what costs for such a heavy truck like a diesel? Will I feel a difference in ride between the two?

·
Banned
525 Posts
First off I like the tires, but for winter use only. They will not last in the summer as they are too soft and with the weight of these trucks, it will chew them up. 25,000 miles is what I got out of 2 sets, year round. That is one year with my truck. I then switched to Michelin LTX m/s in 265s for the summer and have gotten 50,000 plus, that is 3 years of summer driving and then on my BFgs I was getting 2 seasons in the winter, plus I did not like the way the drove in the mud, so I recently switched to BFG Commercial TA Traction for winter last month. So far I love the BFG Commercials and it appears that they will last way longer than the BFG All terrains. I called BFG and they said the Commercial is a better built tire for fleet uses and will last longer than the all terrain.

So that is what I experienced, so if you get the all terrains, they are a good tire, just do not complain about wear as I have told you they will not last.

Good Luck, I sweated my decsions to and after 6 sets of tires, I am happy with my current setup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
d's will ride somewhat better..the e's are rated to carry 3,020 lbs each..don't know about the d's..towing the tag along trailer will not add more than 1,000,1,200 lbs..truck at 7,000+1,000= 8,000..truck is gvwr at 9,200 lbs..
on my e's if i run 50lbs pressure that helps the ride..hope this helps..joncar..

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
BFG at t/a's are "D" rated. I tow heavy and in the summer( I live in Cali.) and have had no problems. I will be changeing out a set with about 45k on them and the only reason I am not going to get probably 55k is that I had some tierod issues that caused wear to the inside of the fronts. I also find they work well in all conditions. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just looked at the BFG site and see that the 305/70/16 is rated "D" @2900lbs. If you go to the 285/75/16 you can get "E"@ 3300lbs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with BFG AT 265 E's. Maybe just a little peace of mind that I have the toughest tire available. My thinking; the truck came with E's then stick with E's.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I do alot of towing with my H2 rims and BFG 315/70/17. I've got about 40k miles on them and they held up just fine. I do need new ones but just because I've laid down a lot if rubber over the last couple years thanks to the Edge. I think BFG are a great tire. You can't really go by the load range when you buy a bigger size tire. Sometimes the load D tires will handle as much as a smaller size E. You have to check the actual lbs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the impression that it is more than just lbs ratings of the tire. For instance, the stock 245 is 3042lbs @80psi, a D range 265 is also 3042lbs, but only at 65psi, and an E load range is 3415lbs @80psi. It is my understanding that the load range E 245 tire is "stronger/stiffer" and therefore better stability while towing than the equal lbs. rating load range D 265. The load range E 265 would in my mind be the "strongest" of all three.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm happy with the 265 load range Es. Great tire so far (only 2k miles on them).

·
Registered
72 Posts
stecyk;1590742; said:
Finally decided on a new set of tires. I will be getting the BFG AT in the 265/75/16 size. I can't decide on whether I should get them in load range D or E. I only tow a 6000lbs. travel trailer in the summer months and am unladen the rest of the year. Two concerns here, the D's are 16/32 tread depth, the E's are 15/32. As well, winters get pretty bad here and the E's do not have the RAC rating for severe winter weather, but the D's do. My question is what should be my primary concern: the load range E for the minimal towing I do, or the D which gets me the slightly deeper tread and RAC rating, but at what costs for such a heavy truck like a diesel? Will I feel a difference in ride between the two?

I will be making this same descion, in about a month. I do towing in both summer and winter, and also hunt in some pretty rough stuff. So thanks for the info and any other opinons would be great.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I would stick with the ''E'' rated 10 ply tires. - Stiffer sidewalls give better lateral stability especially while towing or hauling a heavy slide-in camper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts