Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got some BFG 265's installed, which were set at 55F and 80R (too much). Is 55PSI all the way around the way to go with an unloaded truck?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Ii wouldn't run over 50 or 55. I have the D's and run 45-50 empty which is about 99% of the time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Max is 80 cold on my d's (KM's) I run close to that when towing my 5'er

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I weighed my truck and found the weight distribution is right on 60% on the front and 40% on the back when not loaded. I've been experimenting a little and right now I'm running 45 in the front and 35 in the rear. When I pull my 5th wheel RV I go to 50 in the front and 80 in the rear. Hitching up the 5th wheel doesn't hardly change the front axel weight at all while the weight on the rear axel doubles.

·
Registered
702 Posts
W/ 265 E tires, winter time I run 45 front and 35-40 in back for traction, provided I'm not loading down the truck. Summer, run 55 front and 45-50 rear for mileage. RIde is a little stiffer, but the tires aren't flexing as much. FIgure it improves tire life a bit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I run 265/16 E toyo open country when they first put them on the had 80lbs in them kicked my but.I reset them front and back to 55 ride great mpg 14 city 17 hwy 27,000 miles on them looks like I will get 40,000 out of them great on and off road very happy this is my 3rd set of toyos use to buy BFG good tire as well but happier with the toyo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for your input guys.
I just checked my PSI and they were set at 65F and 80R by Costco. I lowered them down to 55 F&R and ride is much better and less squirrelly. Is 55 still too much in the rear?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I run 60lbs f&r empty with my 265 Goodyear E rated tires.

·
Registered
31,525 Posts
SV Silverado;1590419; said:
Thanks for your imput guys.
I just checked my PSI and they were set at 65F and 80R by Costco. I lowered them down to 55 F&R and ride is much better and less squirrelly. Is 55 still too much in the rear?
If you don't haul anything in the truck then I would lower the rear but if you do haul, even light loads, I'd leave it at 55.

·
Registered
550 Posts
the max psi on the tire is exactly that. you want to be at that max psi when towing a heavy load so the tire carries the weight it is suppose to.

if you leave the tires underinflated, they will not only not carry the weight well, they will wear out faster.

I run load range D Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on mine. they are a 285-75-16. I run about 55spi f/r when empty, but run the rears close to max when towing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have these exact tires and have experimented alot with them. When I'm not loaded I run 65 in the front and 55 in the rear. You can tell by the bulge of the sidewall of the tires and they look perfect like this. If you run more your wearing the middle of the tires out faster and if you run less your wearing the outside tread out faster because the middle will then be "cupping" and this kills mpg too. Draw a chaulk line on the cement and drive over it or water may do and see what it looks like. Mas psi will beat the teeth out of your head too.

Mine is a Xcab and if you have a CCab you may run 60 in the rear because it weighs a little more. Spending this kind of dough on tires, I certainly want them to wear evenly.

Now when I'm loaded I run max 80 in the rear and 65-75 in the front.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm running 45 psi F/R with my 265's when empty and light.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DUG 71 - looks like you have tried about every tire combo. 265E's seam to be a good compromise between looks and performance. I also want to get the best wear out of these expensive tires. I just got my truck back from the dealer today after an oil change and I only drove a block before it was obvious that they had inflated the rear to 80psi (no traction and rode like a roller skate)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
why not inflate the to the tire placard pressure on the door jamb...thats what its there for, and will give you the pressures recommended by gm, and wht they were set at when you took it off the dealer lot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
SV Silverado;1594041; said:
DUG 71 - looks like you have tried about every tire combo. 265E's seam to be a good compromise between looks and performance. I also want to get the best wear out of these expensive tires. I just got my truck back from the dealer today after an oil change and I only drove a block before it was obvious that they had inflated the rear to 80psi (no traction and rode like a roller skate)
Your right about that! I have "been down the road" with these, so to speak and it hasn't been really good to me, but its working out now. The 285's were a big high $$$ nightmare. Luckily I found someone to deal with me on them. I won't make that mistake again. It was fine in the days when I didn't have anything to haul, but thats alot different now and family safety is #1 priority. So yeah, the 265's have been a great compromise and I'm happy with them so far.

holtzer1;1594190; said:
why not inflate the to the tire placard pressure on the door jamb...thats what its there for, and will give you the pressures recommended by gm, and wht they were set at when you took it off the dealer lot.
Because if you run the recommended 80 psi in the rear it will beat the teeth out of your head. I think those were put there for the truck to be doing what is was made for (towing), but your not going to be doing it all the time and besides it will wear the middle of the tires out really quick and you don't get any traction for crap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I go 65 front 80 rear ALL THE TIME.. I never know when i may need to tow something or go plowing.. As far as the ride goes, they are HEAVY DUTY trucks, not Caddy Devilles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Duramax88;1596649; said:
I go 65 front 80 rear ALL THE TIME.. I never know when i may need to tow something or go plowing.. As far as the ride goes, they are HEAVY DUTY trucks, not Caddy Devilles.
I bought my truck with the intension of it being a HD and riding like one. I don't mind it one bit. With plowing and never knowing what I might haul I run 80psi F/R all the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts