Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found over the past few days that a few persons have been approached by a performance tuning company about checking the fuel system for compatability with their tuner. They are asking for specific data from a Tech 2 to check the performance of an individual engine with certain other tuners installed. If you are asked to do this be aware that it is ILLEGAL and you will also be liable. If you are unsure about a request I suggest you ask someone possibly on a forum like this one to be sure and protect yourself from a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
CPMac said:
I have found over the past few days that a few persons have been approached by a performance tuning company about checking the fuel system for compatability with their tuner. They are asking for specific data from a Tech 2 to check the performance of an individual engine with certain other tuners installed. If you are asked to do this be aware that it is ILLEGAL and you will also be liable. If you are unsure about a request I suggest you ask someone possibly on a forum like this one to be sure and protect yourself from a problem.
hey cpmac just to clear this up for me why would this hurt,i mean isnt it needed to see if one needs to make changes to thier fueling system....thanks jess Edited by: king d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
guess they did not have it all figured out.......did they.....have heard similar conversations.......I have most of the pieces.........but not interested
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
King D what you do to change your truck would be fine. Capturing a snapshot of data while running a competitors box and sending it to another company to let them reverse engineer their own product is not ok. If you were gathering info about your own setup and what to change to compliment what you have would be 100% legal. Sending the info to another tuner for free product or even being suckered into thinking he needs it to make his product work on your truck is not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
CPMac said:
King D what you do to change your truck would be fine. Capturing a snapshot of data while running a competitors box and sending it to another company to let them reverse engineer their own product is not ok. If you were gathering info about your own setup and what to change to compliment what you have would be 100% legal. Sending the info to another tuner for free product or even being suckered into thinking he needs it to make his product work on your truck is not.
so getting this info and sending it to a competing company to see how my trucks fuel system is handling the program could be stting me up for potntial legal action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it absolutely would be punishable by law.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,605 Posts
This whole deal came about when I was asked for snapshots of fuel system data from WOT passes on my truck with a specific tuner installed. I thought something was fishy because any comp programmer or any of the comp boxes I have by themselves or stacked would show my fuel systems' capability just fine. I thought this may be an attempt by a programmer to gain info about a competitors fuel system programming. So I asked a couple people what they thought about this "test" of my fuel system and that's when I learned about software copyright laws and how they apply to tuners and programmers for our trucks.Edited by: mtomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
So why wouldn't somebody just buy a competetor's product and run it on a truck themselves. Surely they must have a "mule" to develop their own product?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,605 Posts
if the info can be gotten for free from someone else $$$ can be saved buying the competitors boxEdited by: mtomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
Let's put and end to this now! I am the one that has told two people how to check there fuel system and that I would review the data for them. I donot need to see the data! There is no scam just someone trying to start more sh*t becuase they feel left out! So here is how you do it by your self.


Take a Tech II and record a full throttle run in 4th and 5th gear when running whatever program you like. You will need to record the fuel system data in the Tech II. When you review the data look at Commanded fuel pressure Vs Actual fuel pressure. The two values should be very close to one another. If they are not then the fuel system is not upto deliverying the necessary fuel commanded by that program. The bigger the Hp program the more likely the failure of the fuel system. So you can do the test on a stock program and all will be fine but the more you stepup the program the more failures will be seen. So the obivious thing would be to test with the big Hp program. This method of testing doesnot work on add in boxes becuase they change the values being returned to the PCM so any data from them would be faulty, this is the reason for excluding them in testing.


As I stated before I was just trying to help a few people and no scam is in place as some would like to believe.





a64pilot


You've hit the nail on the head, If we wanted to know what any other program was doing it would be much easier to just buy one and check it out and noone would every need to know, but since that was never our intent we didn't. It just someone's imagination running wild!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O that's it Steve. I feel left out that you are not going to sell me your product. So I make up this for what reason? I'm trying to keep from getting dragged into the middle of your illegal activities and also trying to protect anyone else that may be fooled into thinking it would be alright. Also Tomac is right the company in question must be about broke to not just buy one theirself but another reason is that way they get feedback off of several trucks which is necessary to see how different trucks react to the programming (probably in the one specific area they can't figure out). I was involved because the info that was being stolen was from products that are mine therefore I figured I should give everyone else a heads up to keep from being suckered. I have no problem with anyone as long as they don't LIE or STEAL both of which you have done or at least tried to.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
9,678 Posts
Diesel Tech said:
Let's put and end to this now! I am the one that has told two people how to check there fuel system and that I would review the data for them. I donot need to see the data! There is no scam just someone trying to start more sh*t becuase they feel left out! So here is how you do it by your self.


Take a Tech II and record a full throttle run in 4th and 5th gear when running whatever program you like. You will need to record the fuel system data in the Tech II. When you review the data look at Commanded fuel pressure Vs Actual fuel pressure. The two values should be very close to one another. If they are not then the fuel system is not upto deliverying the necessary fuel commanded by that program. The bigger the Hp program the more likely the failure of the fuel system. So you can do the test on a stock program and all will be fine but the more you stepup the program the more failures will be seen. So the obivious thing would be to test with the big Hp program. This method of testing doesnot work on add in boxes becuase they change the values being returned to the PCM so any data from them would be faulty, this is the reason for excluding them in testing.


As I stated before I was just trying to help a few people and no scam is in place as some would like to believe.





a64pilot


You've hit the nail on the head, If we wanted to know what any other program was doing it would be much easier to just buy one and check it out and noone would every need to know, but since that was never our intent we didn't. It just someone's imagination running wild!







So if this were true, why not just tell the parties concerned what to watch for? Sounds simple enough. Fact of the matter is that the ECM will store a code if the pressure falls out of the prescribed range.


I'd also wonder why a request to have the acquired data fwd, AND why was F2 selected specifically when the data needed is available on F0? Sounds fishy...





Hey Steve, are you ever going to send me back my core ECM???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
somebody please slug me so I can join this fight......NOTHING LIKE THE TASTE OF A BLOODY LIP it just makes me meaner
dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
Kennedy


I simpley was not willing to let our test methods out for everyone to go use, but since these lies came forward I had no choice but to tell everyone how to do it. Secondly each of the parties that I told didnot have the necessary tools to do the job and were going to get it done by someone else. Why do we use the F2:fuel data? Simple, it's fuel data were looking for. Now that I've looked John is correct that it can also be found under the F0:engine data 1 and it can also be found in F1:engine data 2 but I never looked there for it.


Cpmac


"the info that was being stolen was from products that are mine "


Nothing was being stolen, but I suppose that anyone now useing a Tech II scantool is stealing. You had better go get every GM tech world wide! Since you were not anyone involded are you now saying that the programs in the trucks are yours?


"the company in question must be about broke "


Trying to start more rumors are we..........................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,410 Posts
BAAAM SLAAP PUNNCH BAAM.





There was that enough to get you fightin mad?





What I don't understand is why buy a tech II for hundreds of bucks, and then scam for the information? I am sure he could buy the box and find several buddies to try it on their truck. I know up until I read this, I never would of been the wiser. and would of gladly tested it on my truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Steve


Back pedaling is not much fun is it??? Stop while you are ahead you are going backwards not forwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
thanks mike.............interesting......very interesting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
A GM Tech II is a wee bit more than a few hundred buckos, more like three or four thousand of them for a full kit.



But I agree the principle is the same!
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top