Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my fuel filter and I used the Carquest filter PN R86960 (Metal fuel filter). On the way home I went to pass someone and the truck wouldn't make it around the other car. I instantly got an alert saying to change the filter and the engine light came on. The code was low fuel pressure in the fuel rail. I called the carquest I have my account through and they said that have had that problem before with these filters. They sent one of the plastic ones which seems to work fine now. I just wanted to let everyone know to stay away from these filters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have run the CarQuest filters almost exclusively (on occasion a Fram) since I started doing the filter change myself after the free 3 year oil changes ended. I think your parts guy made a mistake when he sold you the metal one. That part has been superseded by the plastic one a bunch of years ago. I have had good luck with the plastic ones only 1 problem to speak of. Probably my fault... May have over tightened the WIF filter and it pushed through the threads while I was waiting for a ferry back to Hatteras Island. Rode the ferry back on foot and lucky for me there was a CarQuest dealer in the town where I was vacationing. Bought a replacement and all was good. My local parts guy even refunded me for a defective part when I got home You should have much better luck switching to the plastic one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The R86960 was the updated part. The old one was PN R86910. They are both the red category and metal which is their cheaper line. I was just reluctant to switch from the metal to plastic. That is the only reason I used the cheaper one. The plastic ones are definitely the way to go. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Fuel filter is worth staying OEM - can't beat the current coalescer design - good for 2 years or per the DIC whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Red Line at CarQuest is import will fit econo lineup. Could be any brand in the box.

The Blue Line at CarQuest is Wix repackaged.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Better stay FAR away from the carquest plastic fuel filters. Or any of their filters for that matter. Had two of the plastic ones, both of them busted, then got the metal filter and it failed inside the canister. AC Delco all the way. Can get them on ebay by the case for about $18 a filter (6).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts