Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, hope everyone had a good Christmas..

I still can't get used to the initial throttle response as my CC D/A closes in on 1000 miles. Love the truck but I was used to a peppy 6.0L EC off the line. I don't race it, just lug my 8 and 16 year olds around to the Home Depot or whatever. Seems that I have to press much further down on the accelerator at the red light to get moving...Any comments?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
A diesel lags a little bit more off the line, a little big of turbo lag, but as soon as you get going they go. You need one of those fancy little box's or programmers! It should loosen up a little more with mileage.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Yup Turbo lag is more then likely the culprit .... Also not knowing year and mileage ,I'm assuming it's fairly new ?? Give it a few miles to loosen up also ....... Your only other option is to get it breathing by altering stock box ,and or just try a drop in filter for more CFM flow ....The Uni Filter are getting good feed back and results and are a direct drop in replacement element .... Next up a less restrictive muffler ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, I even miss my 6.5TD a little. It was quite a bit peppier off the line than the Duramax. I did add high-flow injectors and a 4" straight-piped exhaust though. Boy oh boy though when the Duramax gets that turbo spooled up it flat out smokes. My fiance even turns off the radio sometimes just to hear the turbo whistle!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
depending on the year of the 6.0, it mayhave been cable operated throtle, your dmax is fly by wire.. that may contribute also

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it was a cable throttle 2002 and the Dmax is 2004 with 990 miles. Will wait till it loosens and and check on that filter

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I would check out the Filter...Santa got me the AFE Stage II and it made a very nice difference. I also have pic of the install on the Duramax thread. Very simple to install about 45min.

Going with the Juice box will definately change all your worries.Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Henry,

I felt the same way going from a 1999 EC LB 4x4 with a 6.0 to my Dmax. I installed the juice at 3,000 miles and the response is awesome. 25,000 now. Even if you set the juice at the lowest level it still reponds much better than stock. There is one problem......driving to and from the dealer for service with the juice removed is painful!Edited by: Trippin

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
It takes about 5000 miles to start loosening up.

I just got rid of an 03 w/ 9000 miles and I'm back to the tight 04.

It takes some getting used to again.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Dmax Tim said:
It takes about 5000 miles to start loosening up.

I just got rid of an 03 w/ 9000 miles and I'm back to the tight 04.

It takes some getting used to again.
Tim, Why did you dump the 03 with that low of miles?

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I work for GM and my dealer wants the used ones so I give them to him.

I get about what I paid for it on trade sometimes more than I paid.

I'm sure your dealer does it for some people too.

I'm on # 8 D/A combo and always hate getting used to the tight new truck but the smell of leather is nice.

So now my major problem is I don't want to get a power box that isn't upgradable to the LLY since I must have gotten one of the last LB7.

My dealer is going to order me a GMC again in April or the last order day so I can get rid of this Chevy.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Man I need to get ahold of one of these 6.0 gassers I keep reading about here. I have a 2002 silverado 2500hd CC LB for a work truck, plain jane, crank windows and all. That thing in no way, even on it's best day, hold a candle to my dmax. As a matter of fact the day I picked it up I took it back and tried to talk the fleet manager into giving me my 92 F350 CC LB back. The F350 would run circles around the new chevy, with a smaller, high milage engine! Not only that, the ford had a MUCH tighter turning radius.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HarryK

On the throttle response try running around 50 mph and set the cruise and then use the plus on the turn signal and see how the response is compared to the acc. pedal If the response is a lot better you may have to look into changing the pedal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts