Diesel Place banner

better mileage with chevy or dodge?

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  haulin-rv 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first post but not new to the site. been looking into buying a diesel lately and the only concern is the varying mileage between dmax owners. some say they baby the truck and only get 12-14mpg. While on a few dodge sites, most everybody gets 17 + with the cummins. I'm a chevy guy but don't want to give up my 04 2500hd gasser to only get 2-3mpg more. Any thoughts or are the cummins guys exaggerating there mileage?

#2 ·
I dont know about the cummins guys but I get around 15 to 16 in town, lots of stopping and going. On the highway around 19 @72mph.

#3 ·
I can honestly say i bought my truck for the 'package'. we have a medium duty powertrain in a 'light' duty truck.
I have a friend with an older cummins and she does get better mileage than i do - Although she has to worry when her trans is going to go awol.
Go with what you like - If you like the Chevy get yourself one; if you like the dodge go for it too.
I dont know, I always buy investment properties with facts and data; fun stuff I always buy with emotion and homework.
I figured I liked what i heard so much about the truck from owners that it was the one for me. I don't regret a day i drive this thing!
I have 6k on mine and get 16 mpg freeway @ about 72 average MPH. They always tell me to give it time it'll get better.

#4 ·
the fuel milage for my truck has dropped a little but am still getting 14-16 around town. Not bad for winter fuel, larger tires and at least 4 hours of idling per tank of fuel. So it is ctually getting better than the 14-16 that i get hand calculating. In the summer i get 17-19 around town and 20-22 on a trip. I was all for the deisel but to convince the BOSS "wife" into spending the extra money i had to show her on paper the difference in fuel milage over 100k between the gas and diesel. The fuel milage difference between the two more than paid for the oil burner. "I figured 10-12mpg for the 6.0 or 8.1 and 15-17 mpg for the diesel" Of course when time to trade the oil burner is worth more and you can run it for over 200k with few worry's.

#6 ·
You can go to this site and do a fuel cost comparison, cummins vs Dmax or your gasser vs Dmax

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

I had an 04 Silverado gasser, it ran on avg 19 to 20 litres per 100klm in the summer. Didn't even bother in the winter, wasn't good I know that.

I now have an 07 Silverado Dmax(LBZ)and right now in the winter with only 1500klms on it, it's running on avg 20 litres per 100klms

Even if the cummins is getting 2-3 mpg more, the dollar amount really isn't that much to sway you one way or another.

The Dmax is already doing beter than my old gasser and its only a month old, mind you to re-coop the cost difference in the motors, this will take one heck of a long time but thas not why you do it.

I hated to give up my gasser too, but with the 5yr power train warr., more power, lots more, and not to forget to mention "ITS NEW" :D

What I disliked most was standing at the pumps every 3rd day in the freezing cold, GM seems to have small tanks in their trucks, 98 litres?

Get the diesel you won't regret it......imo

#7 ·
Before going with the Chevy I drove both the dodge and the ford. The ford wandered all over the road. The dodge had a good engine but rode like an empty boxcar. The Chevy is the best of the bunch. Fuel mileage will increase with more miles. Stick as close to the stock tire size and you won't regret your purchase.

#8 ·
shop1722;1556757; said:
Hey guys, first post but not new to the site. been looking into buying a diesel lately and the only concern is the varying mileage between dmax owners. some say they baby the truck and only get 12-14mpg. While on a few dodge sites, most everybody gets 17 + with the cummins. I'm a chevy guy but don't want to give up my 04 2500hd gasser to only get 2-3mpg more. Any thoughts or are the cummins guys exaggerating there mileage?
It depends on how you drive them.
After the fun of playing with the newfound DMAX power, I get about 17 to 20 mpg on my Dmax's and my Cummins.

If im showing people how fast they go the mileage suffers.
If I drive about 60 mph and try not to hit the gas, I can get the dmax to 21 mpg.
If I drive it at 90 mph towing my 39foot enclosed trailer, full of cars, I can get it down to 6 or 8 mpg.

#9 ·
I notice most of you have 06 or 07 dmax's. Is the mileage pretty much the same with any of the older engine variaitions? I've been considering a used one as well. I'm just having a hard time spending 33k for the truck but I baby my current truck and know I'd have the dmax for a long time.

#11 ·
Mine will get upper 18s to 20 at 75 at 70 it'll get 19s to 20.8 on the best tank. I've got 22.4 once at 65 but it's real hard to drive 65 on these West Texas roads.

#12 ·
mine get's 18.4mpg hand calculated, mixture city/frwy. And I drive mine like it's stolen. I've hit 23 on the freeway before doing avg. 70-75

#13 ·
I had an 06 Cummins 3500 srw and it was just about the same as my current 06 dually dmax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.