Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help with my fuel mileage. Get about 11 to12 in city, 16 to 17 hwy. I've been thinking of putting an exhaust system and K/N filter on my Chevy but don't know which one is the best for me. Would like a 4" or 5" with no cat. Don't really want to chip it, if I don't have to. With new exhaust, would I have to have it reprogrammed? Any info would really help! Thanks!

2005 Chevy Silverado, LLY, C/C SB, 4x4, Duramax/Allison, Billet Grill, Billet Bowtie, BF Goodrich T/A 285/75R16

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 4" cat back with the AFE stage 2 air intake, no power programmer or chip. There are some thoughts out there about an aftermarket air intake being any improvement over stock. I had a noticeable difference in power and fuel economy. As of now 18-19 on the road, and 15+ around town. The truck improves as more miles are driven (ie- with age). No need to do any reprogramming. Just plug and play. Stay away from the K/N filter--too many problems noted with them on this forum. No codes or problems with my setup.

·
Registered
960 Posts
With my truck, my best overall mileage has been about 18 to 19 at the most. For what you're getting on the highway, it may not be worth it spending the extra $$$$ for 1 mpg, depending on how many miles you put on per year. I drive about 22K and it's going to take me almost 4 years just to break even. And I've tried all the tuners; Edge w/attitude, Hypertech, and now Diablosport Predator. All do increase power, which is nice. But I've never seen much of any difference in mileage. And I drive with a very light foot, rarely going over 2,000 rpms. Up to maybe 2500 rpms getting on the highway. Other than that, I'm very easy on my truck. Some of these guys that claim getting 25 mpg all the time make me scratch my head. Maybe going down the highway at 55-60 mph, they can achieve that average on a road trip. But I serously would question that kind of fuel economy as an overall number. Just my opinion after 58K miles so far.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I installed a K&N filter; made absolutely NO difference in mpg. And with what I'm reading about it's filtering ability (or should I say inability), I'm planning to go back to OEM. Just my 0.02 worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.