Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I'm going to be pulling out my Allison tomorrow. I think everything will go ok, but I have a few concerns. My main concern is getting the torque converter bolts off through that small access window. With a small gas motor, I am used to turning the engine around by using a large ratchet on the balancer bolt. With the much larger size, and compression of the Duramax, I don’t expect this same approach to work. Also with a gas motor, I could disconnect the coil and bump the motor over with the key. With no coil to disconnect on the Duramax, I fear this may accidentally start the motor.

So I was hoping the experts could clue me in to how they do it.

Any other tips on getting the Allison out would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Your'e converter bolt access is through the starter opening. Make sure batterys are disconnected, unbolt starter move aside, then you can take a screw driver and turn torque converter by hand. Use long extension(26"s or so) and ratchet and 15mm impact swivel socket. Flashlight helps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My strongest screwdriver is 14" long. Do you think this will have enough strength and leverage to turn the motor around, or should I get something bigger.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
the motor actually turns over fairly easy. I use my 36" prybar and use the frame as a fulcrum.. Makes very quick work of them. Ditto on Mike L's way also

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, it worked perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.