Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a predator, but am looking for the best towing tuner and exhuast combo out.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I havent used one yet myself, But Mike L has some pretty good impressions of the TTS tune for towing. THeir exhaust isnt supposed to have that dreaded drone either.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
I am running the TTS tow program now. Steve Cole and i have been testing and refining this program till it's perfected imho. I like it; it has terrific throttle response all the way across the band. I have not put the exhaust on my truck yet but have sold some and driven quite a few. NO DRONE and i love the sound.

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mike L. said:
I have not put the exhaust on my truck yet but have sold some and driven quite a few. NO DRONE and i love the sound.

Mike

Thread hi-jack on: How much is the TTS SS exhaust? It's not posted on their site.

Hijack off.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Not sure if your use of the word tuner means a tuner specifically, or if plug in modules are included, but my experience is that the Juice is my personal favorite towing unit.

If the Banks deal does as advertised (very low torque peak) it should be nice too. Pretty optimistic IMHO, but on paper it looks strong down low.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Kennedy said:
Not sure if your use of the word tuner means a tuner specifically, or if plug in modules are included, but my experience is that the Juice is my personal favorite towing unit.
I gotta agree with that too. I have a juice/attitude stacked with a pred. I can run the oj on level 3 and the pred on the 40hp tune, it will walk all over with my 12k fivre hooked up.. EGT temps are in check even at that level..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Where do you live? I have observed that EGT's go up as you climb (and boost drops). In Fort Worth, I can see 26# boost and only 1100 EGT. Outside Flagstaff, only 19# boost and 1300 EGT. Being able to adjust your power from the drivers seat is a really good idea, and the Juice/Attitude will even back off the power if EGT exceeds a pre set level.

I have a TST, and run it with Torque Enhancement only, and this keeps the EGT in check, plus lets it pull well.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i would say the 110 va for the job, pull with great torque, better mileage than the juice, proven winner

·
Registered
747 Posts
Eric, are you going to be selling the tts exhaust?

·
Registered
958 Posts
If the Banks dyno charts are accurate I'd look at the Six-Gun, it appears to focus in making huge power gains at LOW RPM and being more conservative (85hp) at peak. Should be tranny safe with its peak numbers but give the truck a huge kick in the pants. I'd love to get my hands on one to try out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Generally speaking, transmissions and clutches are more susceptible to damage from torque than from horsepower. Torque is twisting force; horsepower is torque times rpm, i.e. the combination of how hard you're twisting and how fast you're doing it. Transmiissions and clutches generally don't care how fast they're turning, they care how much twisting force they have to withstand.

·
Registered
704 Posts
ZFMax said:
Generally speaking, transmissions and clutches are more susceptible to damage from torque than from horsepower. Torque is twisting force; horsepower is torque times rpm, i.e. the combination of how hard you're twisting and how fast you're doing it. Transmiissions and clutches generally don't care how fast they're turning, they care how much twisting force they have to withstand.

That why I chose the Quad over the Edge.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Ah, but the Quad tuners have no regard for transmission slipage, and the 135 tune will let you blow through 5th if not driven carefully...

Banks will get it's "tranny safe" from power management, not from the placement of their torque peak...

·
Banned
328 Posts
"Banks will get it's "tranny safe" from power management, not from the placement of their torque peak... "

Come on...we all know this only works for small power gains.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ltrain,

I've used the Predator, the Quad Stealth, and the TTS Powerloader for towing my 10k travel trailer. My impressions are as follows.

Predator (v1.04)
<UL>
<LI>40HP Tow tune made a noticeable improvement in towing. </LI>
<LI>I also tried the 65HP tune, but EGT's quickly exceeded 1100 post turbo</LI>
<LI>Black soot covered the right front of my trailer after 100 miles or so</LI>
<LI>EGT's at 40HP ran 850-950 post turbo climbing, 750-800 on flat ground</LI>
<LI>Better diagnostic capabilities than the Stealth (i.e. real-time monitoring)</LI>
<LI>I believe newer software revisions have made improvements in the Predators' performance</LI>[/list]

Quad Stealth
<UL>
<LI>50HP Tow tune provided slightly better towing power than the 40HP Predator (go figure) but with no black smoke at all</LI>
<LI>70HP Stealth tune also worked well; strong pulling in hills</LI>
<LI>No back smoke at 70HP</LI>
<LI>EGTs towing @70HP were 800-900 while climbing, 700-750 on flat ground</LI>[/list]

TTS Powerloader II
<UL>
<LI>I have the 3-position version (25HP Economy, 80HP Tow, and 120HP Race)</LI>
<LI>I just returned this weekend from a 3000-mile roundtrip to Oklahoma towing my trailer using the TTS Powerloader</LI>
<LI>The TTS 80HP tow tune pulled much stronger than either the Predator 40HP or Stealth 70HP tunes (go figure)</LI>
<LI>EGTs @80HP were 750-900 climbing, 650-700 cruising</LI>
<LI>Doesn't smoke while towing</LI>
<LI>More expensive option than the Predator or Stealth, no diagnostic capabilities</LI>[/list]

Overall

I cruise about 70-75mph with RPMS around 2000-2100 with 33" tires, which is about where each of the 3 tuners above start kicking in. I think the Edge Juice or possibly the Banks, both with more low RPM torque, may perform better if cruising much under 2000rpms.

Still in 3000 miles driving I-40 both ways, I only downshifted from 5th maybe 3-4 times, never dipping under 65mph on any grade. On one steep grade I got stuck behind a semi at the base, and for kicks I switched to the 120HP tune and went from 45mph mid-grade to 75mph and still accelerating at the top (EGTs hit 1000 post turbo).

I get better fuel economy with the TTS (avg 11-12mpg vs. a best of 10.6 with the others). I will say however that when I was just cruising on flat ground, I would often switch to the 25HP Econo tune to get better mileage.

I find the performance capabilities of these 3 tuners vary more in non-towing situations than towing, but it's towing info you asked for.

Hope this helps,

Doug

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Kennedy said:

Ditto

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I say Juice with Attitude!

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
If you go to a tuner be sure it can return you to stock...

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
I think in the near future you will see all intelligent programmers backing off their horsepower programs. I think in 6 months all programs will be able to be pulled at will. This stuff is breaking things, slipping transmissions and causing warranty issues. You don't need more than a 120hp program for play, 70 to 80 is a good tow program. Some of you guys are going to blast me for saying this, but you don't count. You guys are less than one percent and you do not constitute any kind of a market. Why would any of the tuners waste their time (and it take a lot of time) to research more horsepower, spend thousands of man hours, and maybe sell 10 or 20 programs? Also, the guys that will buy these programs are the guys that ***** and complain to no end about things. They are the ones on your phone every day talking. There is no money in extreme high performance, only a lot of work and complaints. My shop caters to the person that works his truck, being it towing, hauling, pushing or fourwheeling. I want this persons truck to do its job with ease and i want him to be able to play on the way home if he chooses to do so without breaking, and be ready to do it tomorrow. I will sell you anything you want and give you my lecture at the same time. I will then take your money and do a great job of whatever you choose.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts