Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Ltrain,

I have heard they are all made by Racor. They just come with different stickers. I have also heard the LLY filter is better and will fit the earlier years. It would be nice just to be able to plug in a high quality filter in the stock head. Like a K-N air filter. 50.00 dollars and you are finished. The adapter that is being made is the next best thing. I do however see some design limitations with that avenue. I am going to call Racor on Monday and try to find out if they have an opion on a suitable filter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OK Ltrain----here's my .02 worth. I agree with Bronco on the rumor that all DMAX fuel filters are made by Racor. For the time being I'm only going to run AC/DELCO OEM filters on my MAX. This is because I'll have a record of where I purchased them from my dealer should I have a warranty issue. Should you decide to do this be advised that these fuel filters can be bought for 28.00 from the dealer (NOT THE 41.00 SOME PARTS PEOPLE WILL TRY TO SELL THEM FOR !!!!!) I'm also looking into the filter magnets. This magnet approach may have some really good potential. Truck safe!!
---------Phil

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Bronco

The new filter I understand is longer and I myself will have a problem with this cause I had to loosen filter adapter head to get filter wrench on my oem filter. If I put a longer filter on I feel It will hit the valve cover. Could be just mine though. Anyone else had this problem.

Geno

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Geno,

I have heard people mention hitting the valve cover before. On my 03 the head or filter is not even close to the valve cover. There must be some differences. I am technollogically challenged or I would send pictures. Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Don't have mine yet, so I can't say for sure, but word has it the LLY filter is 1" longer and interchangeable with the LB7 filter.

This info produced some hope for a better OEM filter, but evidently it's the same element material and design, just an inch longer from what I've been able to find out.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Geno,

Just looked at my truck a little closer. The filter is very close to the flange on the valve cover. I have never had any problem removing my filter though. A longer filter would not work. I wonder how an adapter would even work unless its offset to the passenger fender. The head could be spaced out a little, but by the time you do that, a Nicktane or equivalent would be easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts