Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just as the title says I'm looking for what you guys have installed for replacement steering boxes as mine has too much play and is leaking from the input shaft seal to boot now. I've heard alot of horror stories about reman'd steering boxes from GM and new ones are out of the park expensive so I'm looking at who makes the best remanufactured steering gears for these Duramax trucks. I have a fairly stock truck and may move to 33's soon but that's about it.

Here's the places I've seen mentioned as "good":
  • Redhead
  • Lee Manufacturing
  • PSC
  • AGR
So please post up what which places you've used and what your experience was with that company. Also if you could post what price you paid that would be very helpful as well. I'm hoping this thread will help others looking to do the same thing and not waste alot of time and money on junk reman'd steering boxes that turn out to be worse than what you were replacing.

Reactions: PSConvert

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything I read pointed towards getting a Redhead steering box so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

For those of you looking to do the same, the part number from Redhead is 2872HD.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im interested in hearing more about your purchase..my steering box is on its way out...any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just bought it today so I'll hopefully it will be delivered this week (have to drive to the US border to pick it up though :( ).

I'll definately post again after I've got it installed which should be in the next 2-3 weeks (assuming weather cooperates).

·
Registered
169 Posts
not trying to highjack but how do you know when your steering box is out?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
not trying to highjack but how do you know when your steering box is out?

Two things to look for:

1) Leaks from the input or output shaft (darker dirty areas around the seals)

2) Excessive play in the steering (steering wheel rotates more than 1/4" before tires move)

There will always be a little play in the steering based on how the valve works for power steering, but don't mistake this tiny bit of movement for "excessive play" in the steering box. The second item I mentioned can have multiple reasons besides the steering box which may include wheel bearings, pitman/idler arms, idler bracket, steering shaft u-joint, steering shaft thrust bearing (under dash), etc. I found that turning the steering shaft by hand may give you a better feel than the steering wheel for detecting play in the steering box. After removing my steering box I could feel some play, but the seal on the input shaft was leaking too so I'll just go ahead and replace it.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I also wanted to add that besides the dealer, I have found 2 types of steering boxes on the market:

1) Rebuilt - Inspect parts, replace bearings, new seals, pressure test (most are in this category)

2) Remanufactured - Inspect parts, check/machine tolerances, resize bearings, polish seal surfaces, new seals, pressure test (only found Redhead so far)

You can see why the Redhead boxes are typically as good or better than even an new steering box.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think ill be ordering one soon then, it just seems like i have alot of play in steering on the highway around 65-80mph. almost like i just cant find a center point in steering.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I also wanted to add that besides the dealer, I have found 2 types of steering boxes on the market:

1) Rebuilt - Inspect parts, replace bearings, new seals, pressure test (most are in this category)

2) Remanufactured - Inspect parts, check/machine tolerances, resize bearings, polish seal surfaces, new seals, pressure test (only found Redhead so far)

You can see why the Redhead boxes are typically as good or better than even an new steering box.
PSC is in the same box as number 2 as well.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I just ordered one from Redhead for my Ford . Over the years they have had an excellent rep on the ford site

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm hearing a Clunk under the steering wheel as is if we're the box or steering column. Either way I am replacing the gear box with a red head but have any of you had a similar experience of the CLUNK when go over rough terrain?
Or even just speed bumps and pulling out of the driveway.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A search for "Steering clunk" returns 500 threads (I think it max'd at 500). I've read about it here for over 10 years, and had it for about 10 years, so yes, it's common. And it ain't the steering gear box. It's the plastic bearing on the steering shaft under the dash. The intermediate shaft may contribute, too, but generally, it's the shaft clunking in the plastic bearing.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I'm hearing a Clunk under the steering wheel as is if we're the box or steering column. Either way I am replacing the gear box with a red head but have any of you had a similar experience of the CLUNK when go over rough terrain?
Or even just speed bumps and pulling out of the driveway.
Fill in your signature helps. There's an update to a new green bearing if you have an older truck. GM Part 88963617 This replaces the white bearing at the bottom of the steering column tube.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/80-suspension-steering-2001-2010/232567-p-n-8896-3617-steering-shaft-bearing.html
My truck came with the green bearing. Tryed the exhaust clamp first with no luck but the hose clamp work.
If you need the new green bearing there are helpful hints on here for the install.

·
Registered
251 Posts
GM AC Delco are actually remanufactured, not rebuilt, have a look at the pic.

I put a redhead in 2 years ago and 6K miles later I have a leak, so it is a crap shoot the way I look at it!

I will try my luck with AC Delco next.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
GM AC Delco are actually remanufactured, not rebuilt, have a look at the pic.
Remanufactured/Rebuilt same thing.
My old boss started a place in Saginaw called Reman. They take old gears and pumps and rebuild them with new parts from where I use to work. You can call it what ever, I call it Remanufactured/rebuilt same thing. Not new. They sell all there pumps and gears to ACDelco and who ever wants them. If you want new you have to go to what is called now Nexteer. Japanies bought it after I left.
Old part #19177173 New Part# 19330500

Reactions: kkanuck

·
Registered
257 Posts
My steering gear is leaking and I have been debating whose rebuilt clunker to buy and I cannot decide. From everything on the net I have read it seems like they all have issues including the expensive ones.

So, why pay twice as much for a Red Head rather than just buy a local parts store one with a lifetime warranty for half price? I know it is work changing them, but at least you can go down the road and get a free replacement if it craps out without mailing cores back and forth. It seems like the expensive ones are only 12 month warranty also.

Anyone just get a parts store one and have it work fine? I know mostly I just read complaints, but surely someone out there is able to replace a steering box and get a good one?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Might have to replace my steering box and wanted to see if the folks in this thread have any updates on their purchases and if they would buy from the same place again.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My Autozone Duralast (Limited Lifetime Warranty) is still working fine. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck, but it has been in there since 2016. No leaks or slop so far. I think your just over paying for some of the other options. Also, I am sure the Duralast is the same as some of the others. One of them does them for Autozone and slaps Duralast on the box. With that said, they may get them from multiple sources or change vendors at any time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
From everything I've read over the years, it's a crap-shoot. Some might exchange several times to get a good one. Some get a good one on the first try.

The one and only time my 2004.5 has been touched by anybody but me was over a year ago and it was to replace the steering box. I did the pump, the hydroboost, and the lines, but let somebody else deal with the steering box. Yes, it cost twice as much than to do it myself, but this was "insurance" that if it took several tries, it wouldn't be me going through the labor and exchange hassle. Naturally, they put a good one in, at least so far, that is, a year later.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve still got the same box (Redhead) and it’s going strong with no leaks but that was a long time ago so hard to say what’s changed since then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts