Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion with reasons stated, what do you think is best programmer on the market? Diablo, Hypertech, Superchips or Other?

Please list your programmer choice and why you think so, whether based on what you have heard or experience or what you have read. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, for everday, oomph off the line, not racing, which one would you guys recommend. Some I see make the most HP/TQ way up on the RPM scale. Looking for something that adds a good chunk between 1500 and 2000.

HK

·
Registered
262 Posts
The best "programmer" or tuner (IMO) is without a doubt the Quadzilla -- most horsepower and torque, lowest EGTs, raises RPM limit, eliminates top speed limiter, and provides for speedometer recalibration. No tuner (that I am aware of) provides much of a performance increase below 1800 RPM. From 1,800 RPM to 4,000 the difference is *unreal*.

If you were also refering to modules then the Juice (or Juice w/ Attitude) is favored by many -- at least amongst those with the Allison. The Juice (I have heard) has the most low-end torque and has internal logic to go easy on your Allison transmission if/when it slips.

Regardless of which product you choose, many will tell you that a stock Allison will hold 110 additional horsepower before you need to modify it.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was planning on running just a programmer for now and trying to decide which one to run. Have heard good things and bad things about all of them so I was just curious.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can speak of the Quad-135 tuner, although I have only ever run it in the 110 setting (I didn't care much for the 70 & 90 settings). I can tell you in the 110 setting, it's night and day difference, plus an extra 1MPG or so in the city! It's hard to believe until you have one and use it for yourself, then you'll see.

I recently had to take mine off for a trip to the stealer and holy $hit what a difference!

I also don't have gauges and have not made any other performance modification (yet). I plan to get an AFE-2, 4" exhaust, and gauge set rather soon I hope. I don't tow anything, and there aren't too many grades around here to go up, so I am not worried about the EGT's. Once I get gauges, I'll try the 135 setting.

The only negatives I would say are the 2000rpm surge and a little extra injector noise/rattling. It's worth it for the power gain.

I bought mine from Van Massey a while back in a group buy Mike setup. I would recommend buying from Van.

Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 70HP tune from Street and Performance electronics in North Little Rock, AR. It too raised shift points, rev limiter, no top speed limiter and recalobrated for the 285's. It along with an S&P intake I can white smoke the 285's through 2nd (never tried for 3rd). I have also never tried to time it but it will run pretty stout.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tank said:
I have a 70HP tune from Street and Performance electronics in North Little Rock, AR. It too raised shift points, rev limiter, no top speed limiter and recalobrated for the 285's. It along with an S&P intake I can white smoke the 285's through 2nd (never tried for 3rd). I have also never tried to time it but it will run pretty stout.

Are you sure it raised the shift points? If it did it would be the first one I have heard of to do this. What rpm does it shift at?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have yet to check cuz normally I'm going to quick that I'm not looking. I didn't change it, I took it to the guys at S&P sence they are just right down the road and they did it all at the shop with there programmer that they have developed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also what is the stock rev limiter set at? I hit well over 4grand one night and it kinda scared me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
IIRC, I think it is 4400 on a downshift, but the Allison will upshift at 3200.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Then yes it was raised cuz it shifts higher than 3200 and I saw over 4grand while under power (stuck it in 1st tires broke real quick).

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Tank

I don't believe a word you are saying. 70 hp will not smoke the tires through second and the shift speeds cannot be recalibrated and thats a fact. Fess up.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Im with mike..........signed and mailed my wavier

·
Registered
958 Posts
HarryK said:
Also, for everday, oomph off the line, not racing, which one would you guys recommend. Some I see make the most HP/TQ way up on the RPM scale. Looking for something that adds a good chunk between 1500 and 2000.

HK

I've only tried the Bullydog Power Pup 155hp and the Juice 90hp. The Juice made the truck pull stronger from lower RPM's, the Powerpup made no difference until you got to about 1900 or 2000.

FWIW, stay tuned, Nick will have a review of the new Banks Six-Gun very soon.. If their dyno charts are a good indication it should have the best low RPM power out there by quite a large margin. Another fellow has already tried it but hasn't compared it to other chips out there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree with Mike L. & SDaver on the point about smoking the tires, at least if your doing it from a standstill on dry pavement. I'm not saying you didn't do it, just that you're putting down a lot more than 70 ponies to achieve that feat with good rubber.

I've never heard of Street and Performance Electronics before. Are they reselling someone else's tuner, or are they doing something on thier own?

·
Registered
43 Posts
DMax_Doug said:
I agree with Mike L. & SDaver on the point about smoking the tires, at least if your doing it from a standstill on dry pavement. I'm not saying you didn't do it, just that you're putting down a lot more than 70 ponies to achieve that feat with good rubber.

I've never heard of Street and Performance Electronics before. Are they reselling someone else's tuner, or are they doing something on thier own?

They R&D all of their own products, you can even watch them manufacture your products right there. And when left in Drive it will spin the tires real quick through first then hit hard and bog in 2nd until it catches up. Atleast thats how its done it everytime so far. It doesn't even have to try to spin them in 1st(when i drop it down), it will just wind them up real quick. The shifts points may not be higher but they told me that was one thing they changed, and I know it has no top speed limiter, tested that one. They also have a tech. that has gone off to learn all there is to know about the allison so they do know what they are doing. Keep in mind I also have an intake too. I am fairly new to all of this but this is what I have been told and experienced in my truck.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I guess Joe Webb at Suncoast better watch out when that tech gets out of Allison school and learns everything there is to know.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Just when you thought you new everything there was to no about programmers some guy named Tank from the back woods of Arkansas teaches you something new. Things that make you go hmmmmm? Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Tank

I do not want to make fun of you. I believe that your installed program is giving you some real seat of the pants performance. In reality, 70 hp will not kight the tires. I am running a TTS experimental program that is somewhere between 80-100 hp. I can spin the tires mildly(not light them up) on the 1-2 shift. I also have stock tires. You have 285s which are 2 inches taller which defeats you tire lighting capabilitys. I drive a lot of fast trucks, and what you are telling me is your 70hp program out does the Edge hot juice and TTS 120. I cannot believe this. Just stating facts, not flaming

regards, mike

1 - 20 of 58 Posts