Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing a fully built tranny to install on my 04.5 LLY 4x4 truck. I am looking for a transmission and torque converter assembled and ready to drop in. I don't need a pan, I have the deep one already. Let me know some prices or were to check, been looking at the Suncoast. Suggestions for whatever. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well whats a price on one, shipping and all, would like to know?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
check suncoast @ suncoastconverters.com and also ats @ atsdiesel.com. Or talk to Mike L who just posted. He will hook you up with the best of the best.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
with shipping a stage V ats is around $6500 thats without installation. With installation its around $6800. these prices include the cost of transynd fluid.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Suggest you contact Suncoast directly. I've spoken with John he's very knowledgeable and can fiigure your price just about to the penny.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
At least one vendor here will ship you a built tranny ready for R&R that is not a Level V - so that could save you thousands if you don't need the V and can live with a III or something custom configured to suit your needs.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
At least one vendor here will ship you a built tranny ready for R&R that is not a Level V - so that could save you thousands if you don't need the V and can live with a III or something custom configured to suit your needs.
I would call Eric, dmaxallitech. I don't know if he is really going to do this. I would not.
mike

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think Eric's idea is a good one. There is definately a market need since there seems to be a shortage in most parts of the country of qualified Ally surgeons. I have been putting off doing mine because I don't have time to make the trip to any of the trusted providers and don't need a Level V but there are plenty of local shops I'd trust to do the R&R. I hope Eric follows through with this in one way shape or form.

I understand that the warranty issues may be a concern. Any time you offer a warranty on an installation of a product it is a gamble that the claims don't outpace the extra $$ you charge for it. If the work is solid and the product sound then there should be few claims.

Just curious - do you offer warranty on your installed Level IIIs?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Eric has talked about offering a warranty on this upgraded trannies that cover any mistake on his part. Obviously, if he did something wrong and it broke, he would take care of you anyway, but it would be a bit of insurance!

Sounds like a great idea that will fill a need niche in the market!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Say you put a stage III in, figure out the cost to remove and replace, plus to install the kit. Between a stage III and stage IV the dollar figure in the end must be pretty close, and then you still have just a stage III. I am looking at the price versus the ending product.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
I'm still looking at doing this to a point, but I cant offer any warranty on a prebuilt unit that I wont give on a unit I build in my shop. Its a performance product and its designed to be abused. I am working a deal up with my local Allison dealer to dyno test all pre built units on there dyno, that will verify that everything is what I expect before it would ship. Its a risky adventure to say the least because I have no control over the install being done correctly or the electronics of the truck or making sure the TAPs get reset properly. Also, I have no control over your use of the trans and that applies if I build it on site or ship it to you. A L III trans is not intended to be a full comp unit, some are using it for such and working fine, but if it should fail...

After discussions with other industry experts, ( Mike L and others ) I have to be sure to eliminate any variables that I can. I will not ship a product that I feel is subpar and I dont want to install a false sense of security into a customer. I am willing to cover my work against workmanship, but I cannot cover it against abuse/negligence. Failing to reset TAP's on install is negligence even if you dont have access to do so.

As far as building a unit for you, Yes, I will, but there are conditions that will apply etc.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
but I cant offer any warranty on a prebuilt unit that I wont give on a unit I build in my shop.
Makes sense...along with everything else you said.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
brich - unless my price research is wrong - the difference between an installed V and an installed III all said and done - is between $2K-3K which is not pretty close in my book. But again, I may be missing something.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Suggest you contact Suncoast directly. I've spoken with John he's very knowledgeable and can fiigure your price just about to the penny.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
With all the help and knowledge that MIKE L and ERIC give to this site, I would recommend calling either one of them. I believe in doing buisness with someone who supports the members here and will bend over backwards to help you .Even if you were going to buy a pre built from suncoast, I would try to buy it through one of them...
sorry for the :rant:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree, I will definitely be seeing MIke L. when the time comes. I guess he will be at the Ontario dyno day this weekend and will have his tech 2. Hopefully I can see if I am getting close to needing a trans upgrade or not. Of course supporting vendors on this site should be number one to all that use this forum. Steve

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hey brich why spend all that money on a tranny when all you have is an lly, spend your money wisely and get an lb7 then have your tranny done. Sorry buddy I just had to throw that in there.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Hey brich why spend all that money on a tranny when all you have is an lly, spend your money wisely and get an lb7 then have your tranny done. Sorry buddy I just had to throw that in there.
Ooh! That's going to leave a mark. ):h Actually, I have been driving some good running LLYs here lately.
mike

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey bogger, when the trannys done I will put the old LLY up against that big powered LB7 and give her 3 gears, and maybe more, if you know what I'm saying haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts