Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think is the best location to relocate the PMD to?

I was thinking Heath (simply because of the warranty) is the way to go, but am concerned about submerging the PMD when I cross creeks and such.

Anyone have any long term success with relocating to the top of the manifold?

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
I've seen one of those hooked up to an idling truck with the PMD, Heatsink, etc dropped into a 5-gallon pail of water.

I Wouldn't worry about it, myself.

Putting a PMD on top of the manifold is not a solution, as you can find out for yourself by searching and reading. There are a pile of threads where people have put them up there and now need to replace them.

Getting the thing completely out of the engine compartment is the best way to keep it alive, whether you make the heat-sink/cable yourself, or buy a proven design like Heath's PMD-Isolator.

If having them behind the front bumper was an issue, it would have come up here. You aren't the only one that ever gets your truck wet.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,203 Posts
Anyone have any long term success with relocating to the top of the manifold?
Statistically, no. Everybody that fails within a year or two is in the manifold. The pump is a better location than the manifold.

The failure is not caused when the engine is running. It is caused by heat soak when engine is shutdown. If you have search on PMD, you will have all the people explain that.

It is still your decision. If you don't want to put it on skid plate, put it on the bumper or in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Mine lasted about 5 years on the intake (with a large heatsink). I had to replace it a few months back. Now, it's in my front bumper. It is always cool to the touch now. I'm thinking it's fixed for good.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mounted mine behind the grill in front of the tranny cooler back in 2005.I used a couple of small metal brackets and bolted them to the existing bolts holding the tranny cooler.Got a pic.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,277 Posts
hey,
what's a PMD?
I am guessing it's some form of computer. just trying to fill my 6.2 knowledge... thanks.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
hey,
what's a PMD?
I am guessing it's some form of computer. just trying to fill my 6.2 knowledge... thanks.

Buy a 6.5......you will find out LOL

hahaha. Search is your friend my diesel friend. It stands for Pump Mounted Driver.

Reactions: heavy_gear

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,277 Posts
I just got a 6.5 TD, but it did not come with anything like that pictured above... probably still on the truck I got the motor out of. $200 with a manual transmission. I'm thinking the starter alone is worth that.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here is a pic of a pmd.It is originally mounted on the injection pump.Mounting it out of the engine bay with an extension harness and heat sink extends the life of the pmd.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
i mounted mine on a heatsink in the airbox, that way its allways got airflow and is fairly protected by shutdown heat soak.

i put a temp logger on it to check, and over 1 weeks use it never saw temperatures greater than 40c (ambient at 20-28C)

my $0.02

Vin

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,203 Posts
i mounted mine on a heatsink in the airbox, that way its allways got airflow and is fairly protected by shutdown heat soak.

i put a temp logger on it to check, and over 1 weeks use it never saw temperatures greater than 40c (ambient at 20-28C)

my $0.02

Vin
Remember that you are way north with respect to Kentucky where the original person comes from. We can go to about 30C to 38C ambient with humidity here even in Kentucky.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I have Heaths PMD kit, 2wd version and have it mounted to the lip of the bumper. So far no water issues or any issues with it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
have the heath unit mounted on the front skid plate on my 94....took it to colorado and crossed a few creeks/streams and no problems a year after the trip. the unit is sealed anyways so no worry

·
Registered
254 Posts
See my post on "intermittant hard stalls" thread...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am going to have to replace mine soon and was wondering why no one seems to be putting them inside the cab? It seems like the cable run would be shorter and it would be protected from the elements. It does get pretty hot inside in the summer while parked with the windows up, but it doesn't seem to cook anything else.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Front Bumper...out of engine bay is 100% best location.....must be mounted to the heat sync properly.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i mounted mine on a heatsink in the airbox, that way its allways got airflow ...
That's why I mounted mine in the bumper nostril. I figure when the engine is running, the fan is pulling some air through the nostril otherwise moving down the road forces air past it.

It looks like an aluminum booger in the "nostril" plus it is slightly higher than the Heath mounting (check out the picture in my garage)...

Regards,

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is it just me, or should the fins be vertical?

Every finned heatsink I see that's mounted in the vertical plane has the cooling fins running horizontally.

Would it not cool better if the fins ran vertically? The heatsink I bought would certainly be an easier install in the bumper nostril if I put the fins horizontal, but I thought passive heatsinks are more efficient if the fins run up and down.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Feel your FSD after running for a while. If it's hot try turning the heatsink to where you think it will help. If it isn't hot you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts