Diesel Place banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
K30 Check out this thread.

There is a lot of info here at DP related to the 6.2, lot of been there done that.
If I wasn't knee deep in getting my Dmax sorted out, I'd be all over building something like that truck Heath put together.
But after taking my LLY for a few test runs and hitting the go pedal is enough for me to keep throwing money at it. It's an addicting feeling when that boost kicks in :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bill Heath ?

In the link below it lists a GEP and a $20k budget just to get to 300hp.

One thing I can't find is a dyno sheet.
If I was building a 500hp 6.2 and put it on a dyno I'd sure as hell would have a sheet and video. If I can't see it I can't believe it.
No, it wasn’t Heath, it was someone a lot less popular. If I still had Facebook I could look his name up for you because I saved the post when I found it. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find it.

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
No, it wasn’t Heath, it was someone a lot less popular. If I still had Facebook I could look his name up for you because I saved the post when I found it. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find it.
You might do some researching through member Turbonator's postings. turbonator
Turbonator has a lot of 6.2L power discussions over in the 6.2/6.5L performance section
(y)

Reactions: K30diesel

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,588 Posts
I’m having a hard time finding oem pistons. I already have sealed power pistons. Are they any good? Currently I have 4 engines I’m trying to build. This is the only one I have pistons for though.
I have a new old stock set of std sized pistons for the 6.2 that I’ve had for years.The box says .030 but when I took the part numbers off each piston they are shown as being standard size.There’s a orange dab of paint on the top of each one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have a new old stock set of std sized pistons for the 6.2 that I’ve had for years.The box says .030 but when I took the part numbers off each piston they are shown as being standard size.There’s a orange dab of paint on the top of each one.
Std bore pistons won’t work in an engine that has been bored .020 over will they? I think that all of my other blocks need over bore also. And I was planning on getting them all line bored any way to help with the weakness in the bottom end.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,588 Posts
Std bore pistons won’t work in an engine that has been bored .020 over will they? I think that all of my other blocks need over bore also. And I was planning on getting them all line bored any way to help with the weakness in the bottom end.
Unfortunately the std pistons wouldn’t work for .020 overbore.Whenever a cylinder ridge is visible it’s safe to assume a overbore is needed.The align hone through the main caps is a good idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Bill Heath ?

In the link below it lists a GEP and a $20k budget just to get to 300hp.

One thing I can't find is a dyno sheet.
If I was building a 500hp 6.2 and put it on a dyno I'd sure as hell would have a sheet and video. If I can't see it I can't believe it.
I cannot find the builder I was talking about. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of. He must only be on Facebook. I know that he was apart of a group called 6.5 performance and information, the admin of the group being Courtland Bowles.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I watch ebay for a set. I need to find a set of +.75mm (.030") pistons for one of my engines. Someday.... 0.020 is not a factory overbore size so you'll get stuck with crap aftermarket pistons. I have no real knowledge of the sealed power stuff.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,588 Posts
I watch ebay for a set. I need to find a set of +.75mm (.030") pistons for one of my engines. Someday.... 0.020 is not a factory overbore size so you'll get stuck with crap aftermarket pistons. I have no real knowledge of the sealed power stuff.
I used sealed power pistons back in 06 when I had a 1981 5.7 diesel punched .030 oversize.Everything went well with it.I must have put over 100K on it and then my father started using the engine.I used arp fasteners on the heads,mains and rods.I also studded the oil pump.

In 2007 I rebuilt another 5.7 diesel but it was one of the very early 1978 engines.I used new clevite brand pistons for that one.I’ve always had good luck with Mahle clevite or sealed power.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I think they only "complaint" if you will I've heard about sealed power pistons is they do not have the steel ring land like an OE piston. Other than that, that's all I've heard.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts