Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking around for a used diesel, and just trying to figure out the best model year for a lb7 engine is. What are some things to look for? What are some common troubles of this engine, if any and what price range should i be looking at when buying a truck with this engine in it. Oh by the way looking for a shortbed crew cab. Also, plan on doing little towing, but gonna make this thing turn out lots of power.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
04 right before the lly , but not to close as the trans has a stouter gear , in it for the pto , (that could be run , if the frame was not in the way ) pluss its newer than any

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
My 2005 LLY has a PTO gear :D

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
was it a early unit BEN as ERIC has told me that the early llys had them and then they were gone

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
but back on topic...

Id get an 03 or 04 LB7...that way you have the improved electrical system, dual zone HVAC, rear seat audio, steering wheel controls, full driver info center, Bose stereo, O/D lockout etc...

--Ben

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am kind of partial to my 01...):h But I might be biased....:lol:

Really I don't think you will go wrong with any LB7. It is just a matter of what kind of $ you want to spend and what kind of options you want. If you get interested in a truck post the VIN# in the appropriate section of this site and have it checked out. That will take some of the mystery out of the used truck!
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
was it a early unit BEN as ERIC has told me that the early llys had them and then they were gone
Mine was made in late Febuary of 2005. None of the 2005's had the PTO gear and only a few of the early early 2004 LLY's had it. I swapped in an LB7 C1/C2 clutch drum assy with the PTO gear on it when I did my Suncoast install. So now my transmission is effectively the same as an LB7 trans.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The 03 and 04 LB7'd all seem to run great. The older trucks run good too, but GM seemed to have a lot of the bugs worked out by the time the LLY rolled off the line.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My '02 is a great motor, but I would agree with most of the folks here, if I were buying today I would get an 03 or 04.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
So MIke is the suncoast 4 i'm pickin up sat, going to be good in my 04 or is an earlier model better, as far as the trans goes??thanks

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
The pump, stator support, and plate are all different. your "G" knockdown solenoid is lit up and the '04 is not.
mike
SO, MIKE, IS THE LB7 A BETTER TRANS ? OR IS IT JUST SMOKE AND MIRRORS:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
The pump, stator support, and plate are all different. your "G" knockdown solenoid is lit up and the '04 is not.
mike
ahh alright thanks Mike...good info to know.

and dont forget my valve body has a special SEEKRUT SKWIRL mod that makes it better than a FRANKENSTIEN!!!!:joke:

(a hole drilled in the wrong spot):h )

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Now that Suncoast has the converter flow valve available for the LLY, I don't think there is any advantage anymore.
mike

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well I like my 01 and never had a problem with it.

With that said, I too would probably get an 04 simply because it is the newest. Also to 01's have pesky speed limiters that there are very few ways to get rid of.

I think you will be fine w/ any year though IMO.

Oh yeah, many agree that the 01's and 02's look the best. :cool: And they do! :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts