Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '03 DuraMax and I'm wondering what would be the best maintenance manual to have?:confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
. . . What no ideas?

Somebody out there, especially you venders must have preferences.
I did a little checking and found 3; Chilton, Haynes and Helms (6 inches thick and approx. $90.00), plus the factory manuals which I hear are for dealers only and reference alot of special tools and parts by manufacturer numbers and range upwards of $200.00.
I'm just looking for the drivetrain, especially the engine and transfer case.
Any suggestions?:wtf1:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Helms is the one used by the dealerships. Also my choice of the three.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I ordered a Helms manual for my 06. Got 3 books all prob 4 or 5 inches thick. Tons of details. 800 times better than those stupid haynes or chiltons. Cost more but well worth it if you plan on doing work.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the Helms manuals now, but for basic maintenance, I received all my info. from this site...started with one 5" binder, now have 2 full 5" binders with everything I've printed off for reference. Great site...thanks to the mods and participants!

:thankyou2

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I think?

Well guys you talked me into it. I just ordered the Helms manual, had to go direct to Helm Inc. (I tried that link but no one had it.) About $150 w/tax and shipping included. Sounds like alot but I just called the dealer and for what they term their "SUV service deal" which is the front and rear differential and transfer case fluids came to $250. So I figure I'm $100 bucks ahead of the game already. Thanks!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Everything you wanted to know, and then some. Between the manuals and this site, you'll make back that $150 pretty fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts