Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer that came in the other day with this truck and I don't know squat about diesels. He wants to increase his towing performance.

My first thoughts are to install an electronic boost controller so he can turn up the boost ($350). But I also saw the SuperChips MicroTuner for around $400 and they had some pretty impressive hp/tq claims. For gas engines they aren't worth the money, very minimal increases.

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of those look nice. I have contacted them both to see if I can get setup as a dealer for their products so I can help the occasional diesel customer that comes into my shop.

Thanks for the info.

What makes these two better than a SuperChips MicroTuner? Just better programming?

Anyone else have any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
is it an auto or stick? The Diablo worked on mine really well. I had several custom programs that were quite zippy. However, the trans would boil or cook it's self to death. I would sugest to any "auto" 7.3 owner that they fix the valve, get the pressure right and keep the cooler free and cold. ......

.... just thinking here... this guy wants to "go cheap" with a 1,500+ dollar turbo and a 5k motor? To me, it sounds like his wants exceed his reach and he's willing to risk what he doesn't understand. On the the other side..... he just might be cheap and wealthy.

So, to answer your question ........ ask him to educate himself with the truck or just spend more money. My .02 worth.

Burner------------>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that is the correct option. One reason why I was going to allow him to turn the boost up a little and not monkey with the rest of the stuff until he has the proper mods in place.

What 'valve' are you talking about?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
"One reason why I was going to allow him to turn the boost up a little and not monkey with the rest of the stuff until he has the proper mods in place." ........
I didn't quite understand that? The valve goes in the slush....er...sorry, the transmission. You might want to toss the spring kit in while you're there.

Burner------------->

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, what is the 'valve' called so I can look for pricing. Does the 'spring kit' have any special name?

Turning up the boost a little shouldn't hurt anything, it will give him some power and the computer will compensate for the additional airflow and fuel requirements, as long as it's not a major increase.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I've had really good results with the Evolution on these models. Some bugs have cropped up along the way, but typically the dealer flash updates to the base program seem to iron these out. Kinda like Edge is more advanced than the base program that it is ammending.

AFE has a new stage 2 kit that looks to be a huge improvement over the smallish stock box also...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just remember, if you use a chip/programer, this mostly increases fuel. This in turn increases heat and EGT's can cause many unwanted and costly problems. Regardless of the type of chip/programer, a better exhaust is needed. Then for towing your trans becomes your weak link. At first i used a Banks TransCommand and it helped with clutch slippage and made a big difference when pulling my 30' horse trailer, but i later removed that and went to a improved valve body from BD. This helps the trans with issues other than just boosting pressures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up a gold superchip for my wifes Excursion PSD and love it. It needed to be "reflashed" for my application and the local superchips dealer did this free of charge. I was impressed with that. I only wanted the 80 horse program as the SUV only totes kids & groceries and I have no EGT guage as yet. The chip made a huge difference. Not only does it have a lot more power, but it also shifts like a dream. I'va had a lil trouble with the chip bouncing loose on our gravel roads, but cant complain otherwise. I got the chip cheap ($300) from a private party on Ebay. After driving with the chip installed, it seems the stock program is NFG
. The chip really dramatically changed the feel of the tranny. It used to feel aweful shifting, especially from 2nd to 3rd. It now rockets into the next gear. I also jumped from 15-16 MPG to 20! With the diesel prices so high, the chip has already payed for itself. I cant see how one could get more bang for the buck. I used Central Motive Power in Denver for the re-flash. They were great. The excursion no longer suffers the penis envy sitting next to my Ram in the driveway

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't understabnd why you are hell bent on destroying the turbo, unless the truck is blowing ANY black smoke at wide open throttle CONSTANTLY(not gonna happen stock), upping the boost will not make it any faster, it already has too much air for the amount of fuel going into it stock. Considering people put 400 hp to the wheels ont he stock ford turbo, it is not your weak link, fuel is, slap the superchips on there and call it a day. I had it on my 97, woke it up nicely. These trucks are not like gasoline turbo cars where you can crank up the boost and pick up 50 hp without any work. Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep in mind that the Superchips (probably any brand) with a single program are becoming widely available at a low cost as the newer "flip-chips" gain popularity. I really don't know how much Superchips gets for a flip chip, but a short surf thru eBay will find many single-program chips for short dough. So many these days want all they can get and are willing to lay down the cash for the latest and greatest mods. I was happy to be a bottom feeder and pick up the Gold Superchip with the single program from someone who felt a need for more. I'll bet that a Superchips dealer probably has some of the single program chips laying around from customers who upgraded. Again, I only have $300 into mine - chip, reflash & install included. Plenty of beer money left

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Depending on warranty consideratioons, a tuner is best choice IMHO. A "scrubbed" board in the computer is a pretty sure sign of tampering...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts