Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cord on my 03 seems to be to short to reach the front bumper. I have routed my cord back up by the second battery and out the back of the hood by the antenna.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bronco

If you release the clip on the wheel well liner just below the PS battery you can cut the tape to allow you to pull more of the wire out to mount it out the front. I have mine fastened by the tow hook and left enough wire to extend out while plugged in and enough to tuck it into the frame rail when not in use. It is a little less visable that way so no one is tempted to cut it off!!

Before I moved mine I located it in PS wheel well, not recommended too much crap in the winter.

Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
If it rubs on the paint it will wear it off. I was able to snake it through by the radiator up through the shroud and it lays over the passenger headlight. It's out of the way and wont wear the paint off.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Another way to make the block heater accessible is to mount a weatherproof plug in the plastic air dam below the license plate using a Marinco plug from
West Marine

The setup functions as an extension cord that gets routed from the air dam to a spot near the coolant expansion tank. The existing block heater cord is plugged into the end of the added extension cord. Click here for fullsize pics

I also just saw a post on another forum that shows the block heater has a plug at the block side … So you also could just make a single longer cord that plugs directly to the heater and bring the cord to a location of your choice.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I did as HisDMAX said about the tape, but i ran mine out through on of the holes on the bumper. This way i pull it out to use then just lay it in there when finished and you can't see it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Untaped mine and pulled it back through the front tow hook on the passenger side. Used the plug cap loop and slid it over the tow hook. Been there for thousands of miles and stays put.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I cut back on the factory tape pulled about 4"-6" of the cord out of the loom. I ran the plug out to the r/f corner of the front grille necessary to remove the top plastic cover over the grille assy. about 7 clips if memory serves me correctly added a black plastic wire tie around the second horizional grill slat from the top of the grill to hold the cord and just let the plug hang behind the grill the black plastic wire tie which you can hardly notice keeps the plug hidden behind the grille I just reach in with fingers (even with gloves on its accessible) and pull the plug out of the grille and when finished just push it back behind the grille and the plastic wire tie keeps it held in place & hidden. It's a very clean deal and you would have to look real close to see the wire tie, the plug is not noticeble through the grill because it sort of hangs vertically in line with the r/f grill bar. If I get a digital camera I'll try and post some pics...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I saw jbplock's post in another thread in this forum and ordered the MARINCO Part Number 150BBI as he did. I just picked it up today from D&R Boats in NJ. Cost 18.99. This is one quality part! Very nicely built. I am going to mount it in the same place jbplock did.

Pictures of part:

Back with Cover:

Back, inside:

jbplock thanks for the post on the install and the part number. It's an excellent idea for the block heater connection.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Be nice if the back was the correct receptacle for the truck's plug. No biggy though. Nice receptacle! I beleive Michael Tomac has one mounted right in his bumper... the chrome part.

·
Registered
663 Posts
JohnnyO said:
...jbplock thanks for the post on the install and the part number. It's an excellent idea for the block heater connection.

Thanks Johnny,

Glad to hear the info was helpful but I can't take credit for the idea. I first saw the Marinco plug mounted on the airdam in a TDP post by tcelano1 and also thought it was a cool
way to make the block heater plug accessible..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Installed MARINCO Onboard Charger Inlet 150 BBI today:

I used an old computer monitor cord to connect to the Inlet. It's a heavy duty cord and 14 guage. This way I did not have to cut the block cord.

When you drill the hole. The instructions said to use a 1 7/8" hole drill. I couldn't find that size. A 2" hole drill works perfect.

Cord spliced into Matinco Onboard Charger Inlet :

Monitor cord spliced into electrical plug

The complete cord:

2" Hole drilled in front Air Dam:

Marinco Onboard Charger Inlet from the inside:

Block Heater Cord Connected to Marinco Onboard Charger Inlet :

"A five-minute job"
Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I see how nice that plug style is. Now I want one. Sometimes I think all you guys are in Kahoots with one another. Everytime I see something on here, I want it. This website is better than Fleet Farm.

One question, will this style plug be affected by a 8 1/2 ft western V-plow mount? If I leave the plow on the truck after a long day of plowing, just curious if anyone has any trouble weaving a cord in there ?

I know I'm lazy, just shut up and plug it in, I know, I'm just starting a conversation.

One more thing. I have my truck plugged into one of those yard timers. Normally I leave at 5:45 a.m. So I have the timer set to go off at 2:00 a.m. and then shut off at six. That way the truck isn't plugged in all night running up the juice bill.

Does anyone else have this set up? How does it work for you?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boy, all of these post have give me some great ideas. This is now on my project list.

·
Registered
663 Posts
JohnnyO,

Nice job documenting your install! Great pics.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Bronco:

Nice truck. I have the exact same truck. 03' ECSB summit white, DA/4x4. I too have the K&N filter and banks exhaust. A couple of other things though, Juice box, guage pod, nicktane filter, oilguard bypass sytem, american racing chrome python rims, 265/75/16 BFG all terrain ko's.

I see you mounted your plug by the antenna. Is it still there or did you mount it down by the tow hook like hisDMAX posted. That's what I'll will be doing tommorow.

Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TommJr.,

These threads about known problems are starting to drive me crazy. I am going to have to stop reading them. This site can get me so fired up. The funny thing is that when I hop in my truck every morning I grin from ear to ear.
Let me complement you on your truck. I am sure it looks better than most;) I do have a few other goodies that are to small to mention in my signature. I have a dirty job. so as soon as I bought my truck I did the following. On the inside I have a grey dashmat form fit, husky deep groove floor mats(complete set),tight fit leather steering wheel cover, custom seat covers that are the exact same fabric as the dealer. They fit so well that only a few people new they were seat covers. On the outside I installed Westin step bars and had a sprayed in bedliner installed. It is from Toff. It is sprayed in cold vs. the hot spray type. I also have a cover master shell. It is not a total grandpa shell but it does have a little 4 " rise after the cab. I built my own cust. black carpeted platform in the bed. I store all of my camping gear underneith. I have husky hard molded mudflaps. I have the white on white factory mudflares and the factory forged alcoa wheels. It is a sharp truck and funtions well also. Better now with the Banks(new polished muffler and double wall tip) and shocks. As far as the block plug is concerned welll that is why I posted the topic. My plug just gets tucked under the back of the hood when not in use. I have gained so many great ideas from the post that I will do something more permanent. I do really like the back hood area by the antenna. It might have to be relocated though for a more permanent solution. Let me know how yours turns out. When I get a chance I am going to have to pick your brain about your power module. I am buying one soon, I just like to buy right and buy once.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Bronco said:
... when I hop in my truck every morning I grin from ear to ear.

AMEN! I've had my 03 since Oct 02 (going on 22kmi) and the same thing still happens to me everytime I drive it
... Love this truck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
TommJr said:
One question, will this style plug be affected by a 8 1/2 ft western V-plow mount? If I leave the plow on the truck after a long day of plowing, just curious if anyone has any trouble weaving a cord in there ?

Sorry, I cannot speak from experience on this question. I do not have a plow... Yet
. The plug is at the bottom of the airdam, pretty much out of the way of everything. From plow set ups is see. With the plow up, you would have to probably get down and reach under the plow to connect... A bit of a pain. You might want to consider to put the plug on the left or right side of the air-dam. There is enough room front and back to make an easy install. I had considered that. but then thought the middle front would be better because it's centered on the vehicle and thought more versitile to connect the shoreline to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts