Diesel Place banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Never limped my trans and I tow daily with a tuned engine. Maybe 70 - 80 hp. But I have never ran it through the gears wide open with the trailer. As already stated the Allison is a workhorse. It's very tough if you aren't abusive to it. I'm sure there's tunes out there that could destroy a stock Allison in one 1/4 mike pass. Everything in moderation, including moderation. Enjoy the dmax. They're such good trucks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know that everyone here is going to say efi live but it all depends on what suits your needs and how much you want to spend. I have the edge cts and could not be happier with everything it offers. It gives you 5 levels of performance, I believe you can display up to 5 gauge functions I have mine set for egt,boost,engine temp,trans temp, and gear display. You can display and clear codes, check balance rates, set a customized maintenance schedule and even run a backup camera. I regularly tow a 18,000 lb 5th wheel with my truck so I am not as concerned as others with how much more power I can add. The total package you get with the edge is very nice I have owned two banks tuners in the past and they are junk imho. Best of luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
399 Posts
EFI from Longhorn Fab Shop.

:sofa:

Plz dont ban me. lol

ATP trucks or PPEI offer great tuning for these trucks. Lots of power with almost zero smoke.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
i dono what you doing wrong but that seems like horrible mileage.

are you lifted ?
have you had tire wear problems?
has your alignment been checked?
do you beat on your truck while driving?
is your tire pressure correct?
does it smoke a lot or haze?
check your injector balance rated if possible.
also try running a bottle of stanadyne threw 2 tanks and see if it helps.

i see 16-17 mpg doing 90% town driving. like when i fill up just before the weekend and drive to friends and such short 5-10 mile trips for half a tank i see around 16mpg.

once i hit the hwy for work traveling quite a few miles i hit 19-20 mpg without a problem.

best i have seen over 2 tanks is 10.8l/100km that is 22mpg hwy.
Not lifted. Had alignment done just before the 5000 plus mile trip. Never beat on it ever (original owner). Tire psi is at 55-60 and just your typical all season LT tires. Smokes (black) only when you punch it. 66,000 miles on it. Had dealer check the injectors right after I got it because of the poor mpg. They said all was fine and to give it time to break-in. That was 12/2005. I add Opti-lube to most fill ups.

I don't wanna cross post all about my mileage (that post can be found under my username) but can say that without a doubt I AVERAGE 16 city / 18 hwy. While I've seen as high as 21 hwy, AVERAGE is 18 hwy. Wind & air density affect mpg enough to give me anywhere from 15 to 21 hwy. Cross checked with a buddy on that trip that swore before the trip that he gets 21 or better. Nope. He did get slightly better mpg than I did (19 mpg hwy average) but not even close to what he thought. His rig is also a 2006 LBZ except he has a short bed, crew cab with 160,000 miles and his has been beat on very much. But, he also has slightly larger tires. His RPMs stay about 100 below mine. I'll try and add the link to my very detailed test....

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/140-duramax-third-generation-2006-2007-5-lbz-lly/671809-lbz-mpg-3.html#post6981065

21 - 25 of 25 Posts