Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 06 3500 with a lbz I've owned two 7.3 superduty and will never own a ford again! So in my research I've found the PPE excelerator to be a popular choice? My truck is completely stock I'm looking into exhaust and air cleaner too but what should I go with?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've had 3, Efi live hands down

·
Registered
411 Posts

I just bought a 06 3500 with a lbz I've owned two 7.3 superduty and will never own a ford again! So in my research I've found the PPE excelerator to be a popular choice? My truck is completely stock I'm looking into exhaust and air cleaner too but what should I go with?
I thought them 7.3 stupid duties were good trucks?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ford's were good trucks and both of them had the same issues that left me stranded but I'm looking at the PPE excelerator I keep seeing good things about them

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Put an exhaust on it. Block the EGR.
PPE is a good handheld, but Im not sure it will remove EGR codes, so EFILive handheld might be a better bet.
Stock intake is fine on a stockish truck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have egr delete and efi live blocks automatically. Not sure if atp is Site sponsor but that's where I got mine.The heavy haul mode is good I hardly use my service brakes when hauling on big hills. We have over email here called the smasher on the coke highway and it's pretty steep,Efi. With camper towing two atv’s loaded no problem.also with efi live highway no load in economy I get 900 km to tank and I have 4"-6'' cognito lift with 33" tires

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ive had my ppe standard on my last lly and my current lbz, does a good job, decent power, pretty good mileage. Might try efi this year. Depends on your budget really, you can buy ppe tuners used for a couple hundred, whereas the efi is a bit more pricey

·
Registered
102 Posts
google the 10000000000000000000 threads on efi live vs handheld tuners.

get efi live from kory or idaho rob will be better hands down to any tuner.

do some reading and research before spending any money

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Trying to push 500rw on a stock Allison, yeah. Trying to push 600rw on a stock motor, yeah. A mild tuner wont hurt a thing, C20. In fact, IMO an optimized stock-ish EFI tune is a good thing. Better mileage, smoother running, etc.

OP, just keep it under +100 hp and you'll be ok.

IMO, the 7.3 was a great engine. Would have been interesting to see someone create aluminum heads and common rail injection system for them.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
Thanks TheBac, I requested from my tuner for a little more than the 90hp approximate, he sent the 90hp tune and told me for the Allison to live a long life 90hp is fine....Thanks to the THEFERMANATOR, not a hiccup for well into a year...:thumb:

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Ferm is a humble guy and does good work. Funny, I dont even know his real name. :hehe:

·
2,582 Posts
Ferman is his first name..

All kidding aside you can limp your Allison real easy on 90hp, how you let it shift, when it shifts, downshifting 6-5...6-4..5-4 by smashing the pedal to the floor is a no-no and the upshifts 4-5..5-6 can be brutal on them. All I can say is forget all you know about driving a gas automatic and LEARN how the Allison operates. Took me almost a year to understand completely what not to do, how the learn algorithms operate and one thing for me I NEVER go WOT 4-5 shift...1-2-3-4 just shy of WOT is enough for me to be taken to jail....:thumb:

·
Registered
102 Posts

All kidding aside you can limp your Allison real easy on 90hp, how you let it shift, when it shifts, downshifting 6-5...6-4..5-4 by smashing the pedal to the floor is a no-no and the upshifts 4-5..5-6 can be brutal on them. All I can say is forget all you know about driving a gas automatic and LEARN how the Allison operates. Took me almost a year to understand completely what not to do, how the learn algorithms operate and one thing for me I NEVER go WOT 4-5 shift...1-2-3-4 just shy of WOT is enough for me to be taken to jail....:thumb:
i wouldn't say its easy....i have had my duramax tuned with a 80hp tune putting it on a dyno at 346rwhp and i was told it was a hard dyno and i was more like 360rwhp.

i have stepped on it multiple times on the hwy making it shift down from 6-5-4 and haven't had a single slip or hiccup on it.

not saying its impossible but definably not easy

·
2,582 Posts

i wouldn't say its easy....i have had my duramax tuned with a 80hp tune putting it on a dyno at 346rwhp and i was told it was a hard dyno and i was more like 360rwhp.

i have stepped on it multiple times on the hwy making it shift down from 6-5-4 and haven't had a single slip or hiccup on it.

not saying its impossible but definably not easy
Not all tunes are created equal, you can downshift like that all you want you're just asking for trouble depending on how you have driven the truck prior to. The Allison remembers what you did not what you're gonna do, it's a "working" transmission not a hotrod transmission....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Definalely go EFI live you will be much happier in the end and save yourself the money from purchasing a hand held and then going EFI live. Rob did my tunes yrs ago and only did 90hp and have never put the truck in limp mode on his tunes. I did limp my truck once with Bully Dog. I've been very happy with Robs tunes.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Use the search function!

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I went with a PPE looking for better mileage. Didn't see much if any improvement in mileage (maybe 1mpg). BUT, I do like the responsive throttle. I drive like an old man and so I hardly ever get on it and typically keep it below 2000 RPMs. As such, the throttle just seems to respond much faster with quicker shifting.

I had used the "relearn" function for the tranny a couple of times when trying different tunes. Not anymore. I do not like the loud scary sounds coming from the tranny as it learns from a relearn so I no longer mess with that.

I keep the tune on setting 2. Doing about 8 months of trials in all the settings #2 yielded the best city mpg (16.6 hand calculated). Stock was often 15.5, but sometimes 16. Hence, not impressed with the mpg improvement. When I told PPE they said check your MAF. Changed it. Made no difference. And on a recent 5000 plus mile trip I only gained about 1mpg overall. And I think that had more to do with my lighter foot and having switched to all synthetic oils throughout more so than the PPE.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went with a PPE looking for better mileage. Didn't see much if any improvement in mileage (maybe 1mpg). BUT, I do like the responsive throttle. I drive like an old man and so I hardly ever get on it and typically keep it below 2000 RPMs. As such, the throttle just seems to respond much faster with quicker shifting.

I had used the "relearn" function for the tranny a couple of times when trying different tunes. Not anymore. I do not like the loud scary sounds coming from the tranny as it learns from a relearn so I no longer mess with that.

I keep the tune on setting 2. Doing about 8 months of trials in all the settings #2 yielded the best city mpg (16.6 hand calculated). Stock was often 15.5, but sometimes 16. Hence, not impressed with the mpg improvement. When I told PPE they said check your MAF. Changed it. Made no difference. And on a recent 5000 plus mile trip I only gained about 1mpg overall. And I think that had more to do with my lighter foot and having switched to all synthetic oils throughout more so than the PPE.
i dono what you doing wrong but that seems like horrible mileage.

are you lifted ?
have you had tire wear problems?
has your alignment been checked?
do you beat on your truck while driving?
is your tire pressure correct?
does it smoke a lot or haze?
check your injector balance rated if possible.
also try running a bottle of stanadyne threw 2 tanks and see if it helps.

i see 16-17 mpg doing 90% town driving. like when i fill up just before the weekend and drive to friends and such short 5-10 mile trips for half a tank i see around 16mpg.

once i hit the hwy for work traveling quite a few miles i hit 19-20 mpg without a problem.

best i have seen over 2 tanks is 10.8l/100km that is 22mpg hwy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts