Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all,

i understand this kind of question is likely going to get into personal preferences and is largely opinion based but i'm still curious to hear about experiences folks have had.

i'm looking to get into a slightly more capable truck than what i have now. would prefer to stay with the single axle (space and access are important for me) but i would like to find something with more GVWR (~33k GVWR would be good for my needs).

my first truck was purchased from an aquantaince and it worked out well enough but i want something with a manual transmission (current rig is an allison auto).

what engine/transmission combo i should be looking for? i usually only haul gravel and i'm going to be buying an older truck (my budget is $12-18K). thanks all

o.

·
Administrator
20,698 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would choose the LBZ Duramax and the Allison Trans. .. No DPF/DEF to deal with

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would choose the LBZ Duramax and the Allison Trans. .. No DPF/DEF to deal with
i'm not a chevy guy but i didn't know the LBZ was available in a medium duty truck. i'll look into it but my first reaction is that those engines were limited to what are (basically) heavy duty pick-up chassis.

o.

·
Premium Member
18,222 Posts
Well, first off, unless you don't mind searching for days or weeks for, or never finding parts, be cautious of the GM medium duty trucks. Drivetrain parts are readily available, but everything else is crapshoot.
We've got a '97 C7500 3116 w/ Allison 6 speed. Dropped a valve just out warranty. But, it has had the bejesus beat out of it, and still keeps on ticking. Someone stole the grill, and it took months to find one. Replaced the entire cracked dash years ago, and you'd never know it. Dash bezel has given up the switches above the radio, and the legend bar under the cluster. Cannot find replacements. Radio quit. But, 300k hard miles and it can't be killed.
Have '98 C7500 3116 w/7 spd. Eats clutches ( we has amateur drivers). Dash structure all cracked too.
Neither is power house, but I can't really complain about them much.

Got an '04 Pete 325 C7 w 8LL. Ate injectors, ECM, water pump, injector cups, and clutch all within a year's span. But, has air suspension and will outpull either C7500.

In all fairness, other than parts availability, just pick a well maintained one that fits your budget.

The 7.8 isuzu w/ Allison 6spd in our '07 C7500 has been reliable, save for injectors @ 30k miles.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, first off, unless you don't mind searching for days or weeks for, or never finding parts, be cautious of the GM medium duty trucks. Drivetrain parts are readily available, but everything else is crapshoot.
We've got a '97 C7500 3116 w/ Allison 6 speed. Dropped a valve just out warranty. But, it has had the bejesus beat out of it, and still keeps on ticking. Someone stole the grill, and it took months to find one. Replaced the entire cracked dash years ago, and you'd never know it. Dash bezel has given up the switches above the radio, and the legend bar under the cluster. Cannot find replacements. Radio quit. But, 300k hard miles and it can't be killed.
Have '98 C7500 3116 w/7 spd. Eats clutches ( we has amateur drivers). Dash structure all cracked too.
Neither is power house, but I can really complain about them much.

Got an '04 Pete 325 C7 w 8LL. Ate injectors, ECM, water pump, injector cups, and clutch all within a year's span. But, has air suspension and will outpull either C7500.

In all fairness, other than parts availability, just pick a well maintained one that fits your budget.

The 7.8 isuzu w/ Allison 6spd in our '07 C7500 has been reliable, save for injectors @ 30k miles.
ha! that's exactly what i have now - 1999 C7500 with the Cat 3126 and the allison 5 speed. my dash is also cracked, my radio is also for sh*t, the Cat makes good power but i don't like the auto and the bed needs attention beyond what i'm wanting to deal with right now.

o.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Neither is power house, but I can't really complain about them much.

Thats funny you mention injectors on the isuzu, my father has an 05 7500 and he had to dump 12,000 in it for injectors,exhaust, and fuel tank at 40k mile. Granted it was 15 years old and all he does is bash Gm about it. We have Hitachi and Deere excavators with Isuzu motors that run forever! Who knows?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would get something Cummins powered in that class. And I would never buy a dodge/Ram in the lower classes. Not because of Cummins but because of everything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts