Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody. Looking for my 1st diesel....(what a task!),and am wondering what the best `bang for the buck`is. I`ll have about 20k to spend,putting me at about a `96-98 cummins,or a `96-2000 gm or ford. I`ll put it this way-what should i stay away from?

·
Registered
926 Posts
That may pose a problem if you are looking at a GM Duramax... I believe '01 was the first year the Duramax was in production.

But to answer your question, I'd say everyone on this site (myself included) would recommend the Duramax/Allison. The Dodge Cummins is a very good diesel also, but they don't have an auto tranny to compliment the Cummins. Piece of advice... stay away from the F*rds. Good luck!

Dan

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would say if you can find a '98 Quad Cab 12 Valve Cummins in the dressing you want that's your best bet & bang for your buck - hard to find though. Auto's are definately and issue with Dodge and Ford especially if you plan on adding a little extra oomph!

If you can squeeze into a D/A then that would be good too!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Keep in mind when looking at '98 Dodges that they changed to a 24 valve engine mid year. Many problems followed, including cracked blocks, injector pumps, etc. etc.

If I were spending $20k on a used pickup it would definitely be a '98 Dodge 12valve with a stick shift. Their auto trannies are garbage.

·
Registered
511 Posts
yep, I gotta agree with the 12 valve Cummins.

But, dont disregard a 7.3 PSD just because I hear the Dodge bodies are junk, but no personal experience.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
go to ebay...type in duramax, then click on passenger vechiles....last night there was a 01 duramax on there w/a buy it now price of like 19,500.00 I took a quick lookat it and it had some mileage on it(i think 95k) and appeared to looked ok..... but i didnt go all thway through....good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts