Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
We recently bought a 2019 6.6 Duramax ZR1. The best that I can tell it’s stock. It still uses the def, my control center on the dash is telling me that I need coolant and I checked it. The reservoir on the firewall is almost full, it’s not full to the top but very close. Two questions how full is it supposed to be and what’s the best coolant to use? Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

Checking Coolant (6.6L 8-Cylinder Engine Pickup Models)
The coolant surge tank is in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the vehicle. See
Engine Compartment Overview 0 85 for location.

The coolant surge tank is divided into two sides. (I think they really mean 2 compartments - upper and lower)
The upper portion coolant level should be at or above, the bottom of the indicator arrows.

The coolant level must be checked when the engine is cold and the vehicle must be on a level surface.

The lower portion will be mostly empty, depending on the operating temperature.

They've have been a bunch of tanks with bad level sensors -- so if it's full and indicating low the tank may need replacing.

Lot's of DexCool products out there to pick from.
I've become a fan of buying it as pre-mix instead of being concerned about hardness, ph, etc of available water.

Reactions: Mahi-Man

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 643530
Checking Coolant (6.6L 8-Cylinder Engine Pickup Models)
The coolant surge tank is in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the vehicle. See
Engine Compartment Overview 0 85 for location.

The coolant surge tank is divided into two sides. (I think they really mean 2 compartments - upper and lower)
The upper portion coolant level should be at or above, the bottom of the indicator arrows.

The coolant level must be checked when the engine is cold and the vehicle must be on a level surface.

The lower portion will be mostly empty, depending on the operating temperature.

They've have been a bunch of tanks with bad level sensors -- so if it's full and indicating low the tank may need replacing.

Lot's of DexCool products out there to pick from.
I've become a fan of buying it as pre-mix instead of being concerned about hardness, ph, etc of available water.
I am waiting for the truck to cool completely and check the levels again. I didn’t see two compartments on ours unless I just missed it it. Thanks for the information. I believe that I will go with the pre- mixed Preston Dexcool when I do add coolant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am waiting for the truck to cool completely and check the levels again. I didn’t see two compartments on ours unless I just missed it it. Thanks for the information. I believe that I will go with the pre- mixed Preston Dexcool when I do add coolant.
There is another tank on the bottom of the firewall tank. Even has its, own cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is another tank on the bottom of the firewall tank. Even has its, own cap.
I just went out and checked the level and it’s low. This is my first diesel, I thought it would have a hot and cold mark like gas engines do. I know better now, check it when it’s cool for a correct level. I’ll get some Preston Dex cool and fill her up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freedom if I fill the top reservoir will it fill the bottom tank also?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the correct coolant yesterday and filled the surge reservoir. I will check the levels again after I drive the truck the next time.
The tech link describes exactly what was happening with my 2017 that was having the same issue. Filled reservoir full when cold and no longer have the low coolant warning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tech link describes exactly what was happening with my 2017 that was having the same issue. Filled reservoir full when cold and no longer have the low coolant warning.
I have picked up the coolant and filled the surge tank. I still haven’t driven it yet to see if I need more after I drive it and let everything settle out.
Thanks for all the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts