features I wanted like the 18WXSII.
(NOAA weather channels, 40channel scan)
CB Radios

good luck,

T.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Probably a Galaxy or one of the very high end radios. Many of the truck stops have several of these to choose from, but expect to pay for what you get. Myself I'm very happy with with my Cobra 23 with echo and talk back. BTW it's pushing a Texas star 250 watt amp through a 102" whip. Even an inexpensive radio if tuned and peaked "professionally" will sound almost as good and get out almost as far as an expensive radio. As with most things proper installation and tuning seem to be at least as important as who made it.

IMHO don't get a radio from Walmart or Radio shack, go to a radio shop at a truck stop and you should be able to get a radio that performs much better than stock and maybe a few noise toys if you want them. It's like comparing a stock trock to a Juiced one

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, now where would i get it peaked and tuned? Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Check out Uniden.com they have factory referbs for REALLY great prices. I got the PC78 with weather for $75 or so.. Check out the local truck stops for a good CB guy....but watch it! some of them know how to really stick it to you. I know...I was stuck with it HARD.
After paying for two tunes it is now a hard hitting radio. My buddy has the Galaxy his has been in the shopa few times....really fragile radio...needs alot of TLC.

Ask around for a good CB guy....DO NOT RUN INTO ANY OLD CB SHOP. Ask the UPS guys were they get there CB worked on....they usually have a guy they trust with there equipment.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Ltrain,

No worries, I just wish I had this info the first time. That is the great thing about The Diesel Place....there is really some good good info to help us out.

One sign they are not sticking you....If they work on the radio in front of you...they tell you what they are doing and put it on a meter and show you the before and after. If they want to take in the back just say thank you and leave.
Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use a ham rig. An ICOM 706. I programmed the frequencies, and gave them alphanumeric names also. This radio puts out 100 watts. I feed it into a 102" whip. No antenna tuner is needed with this configuration.

Driving cross country during a band opening two years ago, I talked to people in Hawaii--three days running, and Scotland--heard the guy every day, finally talked to him.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Being a OTR driver, this is where I buy my radio's and have them tuned up. This guy is one of the best in the business. He know his stuff. He is on ch 17 if your in the area.

http://www.steelrod.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts