Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into replace the stock Duravis tires on my 2500HD with an AT tire. I don't want an MT tire as I'd only need it occassionally (live in pretty dry climate). What do you guys think between the new Goodyear Silent Armor and the Bridgestone Dueler Revo? They both look to be good tires, but man their expensive. They also had a Dayton Timberline AT they were trying to talk me into because of the price, but I don't know anything about those tires. I'm I heading in the right direction or is there another tire I need to be looking into as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Doodle;1557553; said:
I'm looking into replace the stock Duravis tires on my 2500HD with an AT tire. I don't want an MT tire as I'd only need it occassionally (live in pretty dry climate). What do you guys think between the new Goodyear Silent Armor and the Bridgestone Dueler Revo? They both look to be good tires, but man their expensive. They also had a Dayton Timberline AT they were trying to talk me into because of the price, but I don't know anything about those tires. I'm I heading in the right direction or is there another tire I need to be looking into as well. Thanks.
I have Dueller AT Revos on my Dodge RAM and I love them. They're quiet, track good and excellent in ice, snow, and rain. I've never used them in mud. They have 10k mi and tread is between 12-13/32. (new is 15/32)

I plan to transfer these tires to my new Sierra since I'm putting the Dodge up for sale.

The previous tires on the RAM were BFG AT's which were inferior to the Revos.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the Revos and would not buy them again. They are louder than the steeltex's they replaced both from a whirr and noise from road imperfections (small bumps). The noise is not why I don't like them though, the main reason IMO is the side walls are too soft for our heavy trucks. While I would have expected a smoother ride because of this, they seem bouncy. Additionally, the truck has a squishy feeling when at highway speeds and moving the wheel back and forth small amounts. It feels like the truck rolls on the soft sidewalls.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the BFG's on my Exploder which replaced some Bridgestone Duellers and I have had the Nitto's on both my F250 and the new truck. All three I would recommend. I have seen quite ride, good road manners, wear and not to shabby for the occational off road adventure.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
had goodyear wrangler at/s on two of my trucks love them now the silent armour is replacing the at/s from what i have read they are a great tire.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
o and they do come e-rated up to 285s thats as far as i looked.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have the Silent Armor and love them. They do great on the road and don't make too much noise. I have towed through sand before and didn't get stuck. I am only 2WD so I thought that was pretty good. 50k mile treadwear warranty is great too. When I bought mine I had 30 days to return them if I did not like them. I figured I would try them and could just return them if they were not good. I had no reason to return them and would buy them again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the silent armor load range E on my old F350 srw. My only complaint was the "silent" was not such. They were much louder than the non silent armor good year tire.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I had the Silent Armours on my old Suburban and they were great. Good in the mud and snow. They were very quiet going down the Interstate also. Pricey though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've called a half dozen places and everyone is backorderd on 10 ply Silent Armors. They tell me it will be 2-4 weeks before they get anymore in. I'd like to get something now since we've had alot of snow and rain. May just have to wait.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Goodyear just ended their strike, so they will be behind for a while.
The BFG AllTerrain T/A have been a great tire for a long time and still are. They are the only tire I know of with a 3 layer sidewall. They started the AllTerrain revolution a long time ago. They just keep making improvements to the tire. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Same can be said for the Daytons that are cheap. You get what you pay for.

If you are wanting to stay with the original size 245/75R16, then I would recommend the Michelin LTX A/T. It wears amazing. They are good on gravel, snow, and pretty good in mud, as good, or better than any other A/T type tire. My Dad uses those on his farm truck and gets about 90,000 miles on them and trades the truck between 120kand 130k and those tires are still on there. He only has to buy tires once in 120k. That is good cost/mile.

The drawback with that tire, is that it comes in very few sizes. :(

·
Registered
448 Posts
02GMCDMAX;1557702; said:
I have the Revos and would not buy them again. They are louder than the steeltex's they replaced both from a whirr and noise from road imperfections (small bumps). The noise is not why I don't like them though, the main reason IMO is the side walls are too soft for our heavy trucks. While I would have expected a smoother ride because of this, they seem bouncy. Additionally, the truck has a squishy feeling when at highway speeds and moving the wheel back and forth small amounts. It feels like the truck rolls on the soft sidewalls.
got the right load range there? How 'bout inflation pressures??

I have had two sets of 265/16 Revos on prior Dmax CC's one D and one E set and found none of this to be true. They are a fantastic tire...I drive spirited:D /heavy foot and tow 13K lbs (though not at the same time:eek: ).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Go to www.tirerack.com and look at their surveys for tires, then hit the "campare tires button". You will see the the Goodyear, Bridgerock & Michelin rank way, way above the BFG. These are repsiorts from consumers that add up to millions and millions of miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love my current BFG AT's, and I've had them on other vehicles too, they've always lasted for ever, and have excellent traction.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rippem;1559877; said:
got the right load range there? How 'bout inflation pressures??

I have had two sets of 265/16 Revos on prior Dmax CC's one D and one E set and found none of this to be true. They are a fantastic tire...I drive spirited:D /heavy foot and tow 13K lbs (though not at the same time:eek: ).
Yes...Load Range E. I have tried all inflation pressure combinations. IMO the front tires need to be inflated above the recommended 55 to take out some of the roll, but the rear gets too bouncy with higher pressures. They do seem to wear fine but I only have about 5k on them. For the money, they are too much of a headache. I have no problem spending money for good tires, but spending money for mediocre tires is frustrating.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had excellent luck with BFG KOs (6 sets on various trucks), Timberlines sucked, terrible in the snow, no go no stop, no turn, Revos started to chunk out on me at 5k miles, sold the truck before 10k on them. BFG all day, all the way. I put the Mich LTX on wife's truck, no off road for her.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.