Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beat before, but anymore info is always wanted. I am looking to buy some nice wheels for a 2500HD 4x4 CC. Has anyone had any problems with a wider wheel, like a 16 x 7.5 or 8.0? I am divided between a 265 vs 285 75R 16 tire. How does either tire ride with the wider wheel? I definitely want a wider wheel, but do not want to spend a h*** alot of money. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a search for "wheels" and came up with dually, 20-22 inch and several posts on H2 wheels. Not much available for what I am looking for. If someone has an opinion concerning my questions, great, if not, then not.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been running a set of Eagle Alloy 194's on my truck since June. They ride and drive well with Goodyear Wranglers 265x16 e's. The wheels are 16x8 and look great on the truck. I don't think I'd want the 285's because of final gear reduction issues when towing. The Eagle Alloys have a 3420 lb load rating, which is the highest rating I've seen on a replacement wheel. They haven't seen any snow or salt yet, but no rust on the lug nuts or caps to date.

Try http://www.wheelsforless.com/ for prices. I purchased the tires locally and the wheels from "Wheels for Less". They came complete with valve chrome stems and I'm 100% satisfied. I tow a 9,000 lb Holiday Alumalite with the truck and the wheels are holding up fine.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I can't handle bare polished aluminum wheels. Been there... too much work keeping off the haze. If you can, go with chrome plated.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If price isn't a big issue go with Weld or Alcoa, they're forged not cast like the majority of the lower-priced aftermarket variety.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i purchased some weld renegades on ebay, exact replacement size for the hummer wheels and paid 750 shipped........they will be here on the 18th so I will take some pictures and post em. Oh, btw, they did come with the center caps.

the wheels are blems I should add, dealer purchased them directly from weld. by looking at the pictures, you cannot even tell the blem area unless you get about a foot away. not bad for $1800 wheels....

·
Registered
617 Posts
99MO: This is real similar to the ones I run, 16x8. Not a problem with 265's, but with 285's you have to either screw with the torsion bars (no thanks) and trim some plastic, or don't jack with the torsion bars, trim a lot of plastic and still rub while offroad. Your truck will hate you if you try to tow with them, too much gear reduction. With the 265's you don't have to trim squat and still tow fine.

<DL>
<DT><STRIKE>
</STRIKE>
</DT></DL>Edited by: neverenuf

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went with the Helo Max 8 wheels and 325-60R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Same height as the 285's but they are 13" wide. Give it a real mean stance. I had to do a bit of turning on the torsion bars and some trimming on the plastic but well worth it. The Terra grapplers had a really good weight capacity also. They are also very smooth and quiet! If you are lookin for something a little less I would go with the Eagle Alloys. I have had several sets and love them. It is well worth the extra money to go with the chrome finish!!! Both for maintance and looks!

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the info. I found a great set of Eagle alloy chrome wheels series 145 for $700 including caps, stems, lugs and shipping on ebay. The Eagle line has good selection and price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts