Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 clb cab with a short box (6.5 feet i think) and i am looking at a 11,000 5ver, what is the best hitch for my truck??? i have seen those "automatic" slide hitcjes and i think i would pay the extra cash for one of those....any feedback from owners of those hitches would be great!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a Valley 16K slider which I use to Pull the 5ver in my sig. It weighs around 15K when fully loaded with Water, Fuel, and 3 sportsman HO quads and the beer. I have never had to use the slider yet but would recommend as someday I will need it and it is better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it. I have the same truck...Jim

·
Registered
326 Posts
We use Superglide by Pullrite. Installed frame mounts in both trucks, then either one can use 5er. Extremely happy with hitch, pulls well and slides exactly as advertised!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
For me it would depend on the way the 5th wheel is set up. Mine has the pin extended out from the front of the 5th wheel. That makes mi set up quite forgiving and I can manuver quite well without moving my slider hitch. In this situation I would not spend the money for the automatic slider. My cousin's unit has the pin set much closer to the 5th wheel and he has a dent in the corner of his cab that he would not have if he had slid his hitch back. Both our trucks are 05 CC short box and Reese 16K Sliders. You can see my rid in my garage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had a Reese 16K with slider for almost 3 years now. The only time I have used it was immediately after installation to check it out. It worked perfectly. I pull a 03 Montana and its front has a nice curved profile plus it also has the extended pin hitch.

It WILL contact the window of the pickup if I turn more than about 70 degrees, so I watch it carefully (and always pray that I remember to do that forever!).

That said, I would still recommend having a slider for that time when there is just no other way to go get in or out of a site. (Or one of the expensive automatic sliding hitches if money is not a consideration)

·
Registered
300 Posts
For me it would depend on the way the 5th wheel is set up. Mine has the pin extended out from the front of the 5th wheel. That makes mi set up quite forgiving and I can manuver quite well without moving my slider hitch. In this situation I would not spend the money for the automatic slider.quote]

I have to agree. I don't have a slider and with an extended pin box on my Hornet don't see a need for one. If the coach you are looking at doesn't have an extended box you'll probably need a slider at some point. If it does, I doubt you'll ever slide it.

I've had two shortbeds with my companion hitch in them and towed several different trailers that had extended pins and never had any problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info! i will double check the rig, but i am sure the pin was extended. this will be my first 5ver so want to make sure i dont mess it up. ( or my truck!!)

·
Registered
994 Posts
I went with the 16K SuperGlide hitch by Pullrite also. Works as advertised. I don't even worry about hitting the cab with the trailer front. I did the install myself and it actually was fairly easy.

I concur with the comments above about the location of the 5th Wheel pin. If the pinbox is extended sufficiently in front of the trailer, you can probably go with just a manual slide unit (and save some $$). On my particular trailer, the pin is about 6 inches under the leading front edge of the trailer. Just a little too close for comfort (for me anyway).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Reece 16k kwick slide, very nice!

·
Registered
211 Posts
slider hitch?

As others have stated, if the fiver has an extended pin box, a slider is rarely, if ever needed. All of my tow rigs have been GM short boxes and from '89 til '03, I didn't even own a slider hitch. Now have one just in case. All of my fivers have had extended pin boxes and GM short boxes have about the longest cab to rear axle distance which provides plenty of manuvering room even w/o using a slider. It is typically more than 65 degrees (depends on the front curve of the fiver) while the steering axle can only turn about 37 degrees. You won't risk getting into a problem until you start jockying back and forth into a campsite. So, it depends on how careful you are during this manuvering, it's hard to miss that big white thing filling up the rear window.

Finally, even if you have a slider, auto or manual, don't get carried away and use it any more that really necessary. Getting anywhere close to 90 degrees, is a lot of stress on the fiver axles and tires. You may pop a tire off the rim or worse, cause hidden tread separation that leads to a blow-out on the road.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for asking the question. I needed to know this too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Pullrite 16k superglide works as advertised also. Just hook up and go never worry about hitting the cab. Backing into a tight spot the hitch just slides back and you can concentrate on parking the trailer. Just be sure you keep it greased.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a Reese 18k signature series. Great hitch, easy removal and leaves the bed of the truck flat when removed, no rails.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The only problem I have seen with the superglide is trying to hook up at an angle. When it turns the hitch it tries to slide the camper back. Can be a little tough in some instances. I have a goose adaptor on mine now. Works well but I have an extend hitch plate. I also have an offset ball for the goose just in case. I have one of pullrite's ball hitch units also. Works really well but have the 5er now.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I've had two shortbeds with my companion hitch in them and towed several different trailers that had extended pins and never had any problems.
Ditto here.

It would be a combination of things... What's your towing experience? What are you comfortable with? Is you 5er of the extended hitch variety?

My Companion was money saved, (about $1000.00) over a slider. I haven't gotten into a position where I needed a slider (yet).

Off topic, sort of... I saw a poor guy a while back with a brand new crew cab diesel Ford (had the 30 day tags on it and judging by the hand written date, it was his second day owning it). He was at a drive through and didn't make the turn wide enough with his long bed. You guessed it, he creamed the side with the pipe filled with concrete. :eek:

That's the type of person who needs a Slider hitch. For most of us, it's second nature to swing tight turns wide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Reese 18k signature series. Great hitch, easy removal and leaves the bed of the truck flat when removed, no rails.

I have the same thing and it has worked great. I love having the bed clear and flat when it is not attached.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Draw-Tite Slider with round-tube slider. Got it from Htches to go.

The way I look at it is why wouldn't you want a slider? Get in a tight spot one time and it will pay for itself.

Diesel Day Dreamin' . . . you better watch it. . . bad karma talking like that. I hope none of us never have an incident but, I know drivers that are as good or better than I that have had . . . um . . . run-ins. Baaaaaaad JuJu!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
down on the farm we're all long box pop up ball kind of guys' .no adjustment necessary. first gooseneck trailer FFA ag shop 1974. still in use today. If it doesn't have over 4 ton on it and I need to turn around in a tight spot I will cut a 90 degree turn. hard on parts but never have left me stranded. course this doesn't have rv axles and tires.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got a Superglide by Pullrite. Awesome!!! Never have to think twice. I installed the frame mounts myself. Turned out to be no big deal. There is a lot of talk about how hard they are to install, but if you can measure and drill 1/2 inch holes in steel, you will be ok. Love having the bed empty when I'm not towing. I leave the hitch attatched to the trailer when I unhook. Easy!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts