Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently broke my timing chain. I put it back together and the truck ran great. It was making a knocking sound on the passenger side so I removed the valve cover and found two bent pushrods and both rocker shafts were cracked. One pushrod was bent badly the other was just slightly bent. I will pull the other side off to check for damage tomorrow. How should I proceed?

1. Repair the damaged shafts and rods, put it all back together and see what happens. Would there be a test to see if all the valves are working?

2. Remove the heads and check them out too?

3. Pull the engine at this point and go over it with a fine tooth comb?

Its a work truck that gets used every day in the warmer months. I would love to keep it on the road as long as possible. I'm torn between tearing it down any further and taking the risk that it might blow up someday and need to be rebuilt anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pay now or pay later

It's an old saying, but you already know what to do. Tear it down and fix a little before it's tear it out and throw it away.

Easy for me to say. I don't live too far away so if you need somebody to hand you tools, order pizza, make runs back to the parts store, I'd lend a hand just for the chance to learn more about the 6.5L

Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Test before teardown

You should be able to run a simple compression check to see if you have any bent valves. If the compression check comes out okay then here's what I'd do:
Consider yourself lucky :rolleyes:
Replace the bent rods and fix the rocker shafts
Roll on :cool:

IF the cylinders with the bent push rods are low on compression you've probably got some bent valves and you won't be getting a whole lotta miles out of it. In my case, with my wife pulling horses, I'd have to open it up and fix it.

Might only need the heads done.

Mike

·
Super Moderator A Country Boy Can Survive...
14,352 Posts
like binky said. i don't live too far either. i'm in CT myself so if you need help either on DP or in person just let us know. i like putting what i've learned so far to good use and am always willing to learn more. best of luck to you and your 6.5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can I get the rocker arms, shafts and push rods? I looked on the internet for hours. Rockauto has the pushrods and arms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts