Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belt started chirping at about 30,000 getting worse on wet mornings )squealing) Replaced with new GM belt at 42,000 chirping is back ( high rpm's when a/c compressor kicks in) W.T.F. !!!! I thought tensioners were fixed on 03 models!!! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You might have to clean the pulleys and the tensioner due to a build up of rubber.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have the same sound in mine. Everyday on a cold start, it starts to squeel. After it runs for a few minutes it starts to quiet down but it comes back during heavy acceleration.

"Clean the pulleys?" ... How do you do that?

I've considered getting "belt dressing" and spray that on to see if the noise stops. I've seen this in other vehicles in the past and that usually tells me the belt is slipping, causing this squeel. Belt dressing will make the belt "grab" a little better.

Maybe the tensioner is bad?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I WOULD NOT use belt dressing on a serpentine belt. I think the last can I had of it warned that...did it anyway...bought new belt.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have the same squealing problem with my '03 (11k miles). Seems to come after a long hard drive, or if I really get on it a few times raising hell. Sounds like crap and everyone looks at you when pulling into a parking lot.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The best way to clean the pulleys is to remove the belt and use a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner with a rag. Spray the brake clean on the pulley and wipe dry with a rag, making sure that you clean all of the grooves. Ford PSD's used to have nasty serpentine belt problems, this was one of the fixes... and it works really really well.

NEVER EVER use belt dressing on a serpentine belt setup. You can, however, use a very small amount of di-electric silicone...that is safe for the belts and will stop the belt from squeaking in the short term....another Ford approved field repair.

·
Registered
994 Posts
BUBZ,

My truck is making the chirping noise mentioned above when first starting up. Lasts for about 5 minutes and then disappears. I looked at the belt several weeks ago and it looked OK. However, there was a slight build-up of black material on the tensioner pulley. In your procedure above, do you clean all the pulleys? Also, can you provide a brand name of a non-chlorinated brake cleaner?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Is food grade silicone spray safe to use on the serpentine belt. Mine squeaks for several seconds after starting. After a rain or when there's alot of moisture in the air it squeaks for about a minute or so then goes away.

·
Registered
124 Posts
OC_DMAX,

Yes, you can (and should) clean all of the pulleys with brake cleaner. If you got to pretty much any auto parts store you'll be able to buy either chlorinated and non-chlorinated brake clean in most any brand. I personally like the Berryman's brand.

mtomac,

No, silicone spray is not a good idea on these types of belts... It works great for diagnosing the item that is squeaking (i.e belt, pulley or accessory item such as an alternator or water pump), but will quickly ruin a good belt. I'd avoid using it.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Have you guys checked the tensioner to see if it's out of it's adjustmant range? Maybe the belt is too loose and you need a new one. Or maybe a little shorter one to keep it in the adjustment range,

If the belts squelling at start up it's probally because the alternator is working hard to charge the batteries back up after being drained by the glow plugs.

Just a thought Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bubz,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try this when some spare time arrives in the next couple of weeks.

Diesel Dragon,

My truck is only making a "Chirping" noise, no belt squelling. It has become more noticeable over the last couple of months. It could very well be the alternator causing the belt to slip on one spot of the belt. My particular noise only happens when the engine is cold and the glow plugs come on in the morning. Even if the truck has sat for 4 hours, I do not hear the chirping noise. I have also heard this noise on several other trucks that were at the LA Dyno event a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
OC_DMAX

Does your truck have the 2 alternator option?

I just added a second to mine and once in a while now I will get a little chirp when I shut it down.

I think its coming from the new idler pully that I installed for the second alternator. Maybe your original idler pully is making the noise if it's only a chirp.

Good Luck Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have Dual Alternaters and was told by the dealer, the chirp at shut down is normal, mine has been squealing on start up lately, not loud, but louder then I like, they ordered me another belt, going to see if this does the trick! Someone mentioned a aftermarket brand belt that doesn't have this probelm, but I forgot the name

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have the chirp at shutdown, but I have an almost constant squealing at idle. Revving the engine will stop the squeal. As previously mentioned, usually shows up after running hard or a long highway trip.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'v been told the same thing about the shut down chirp being normal. Because of that and a number of other things the belt will start to pill. As the pilling builds up in the groves the belt starts to chirp and or squeal as the A/C cycles. A good indication of this is the build up of rubber in spots on the tensioner. If this is causing the noise then you can clean the groves on the pullies with a wire brush. (Not sure what to use on the non grooved tensioner? Maybe break cleaner and a rag as sugested above.) That should take care of the intermittent chirping or squeal.

Another possibility for the squealing after start up is misaligned accessory drive pulleys, or bent or cracked accessory drive brackets. I'm sure I forgot a few other possibilities but the ones I listed should give you an idea what to look for.

I hope this helps everybody

Disclaimer: I'm an out of practice back yard mech. I am relaying info that I have recieved from a local dealership for the same problems with my vehical. If their is any info that I have provided that is in accurate please feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
this is not a joke. sprinkle the belt and pulleys with JOHNSON'S BABY POWDER.
LAUGH IF YOU MUST ------- MAGIC AS WE USED TO SAY.Edited by: FISHHOG

·
Registered
132 Posts
Johnson's Baby Powder???? Are you nuts? Don't you realize what will happen if this is tried on a engine that has a UNI air filter?------
-----LMAO!!!!!--(just a little humor at this hour of the morning)--Phil

·
Registered
939 Posts
From what I have read, Goodyear Gaterback belts were the solution to the belt chirping on shutdown problems. However, I don't have the part numbers for the belts, sorry.

·
Registered
124 Posts
CRUSHER said:
Johnson's Baby Powder???? Are you nuts? Don't you realize what will happen if this is tried on a engine that has a UNI air filter?------
-----LMAO!!!!!--(just a little humor at this hour of the morning)--Phil
IT WILL ALSO SEAL UP YOUR UNI FILTER TO

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
One "other" possiblty that I've found over the years is that it could be your tensioner bearing starting to go. After trying the other methods listed here, give it (the bearing) a small shot of WD40 while it's making the chirp. If it goes away, then you've found it. This method will NOT fix it. Replace the tensioner!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts