Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after PS bracket adjustments and PS pulley adjustments by the dealer, My belt squeaked just as bad as ever.

So I got curious. I got out the video camera and videoed my belt as is was squeaking. I slowed the video down on my laptop and I noticed that the squeak/chirp was timed perfectly with a flash of the white letters on the back of the belt.

Hhmmmm, I wondered. With a new gatorback belt in my back seat, I had nothing to loose.

I sanded the clear coating and the white lettering off of that part of the belt. I used a rotory gasket cleaning pad and some 120 sand paper.

Squeak/chirp has not been back since, no matter how cold it is. My new gator back is now a spare.

For you guys that have not found a fix, give this a try.

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Ian, you were very creative on your find. Good job.
If the fix that you mentioned above does hold true, have the video hosted here on DP and try to get GM (good luck) to look at it.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
2 thumbs up Bro!:D that's some CSI investigating right there! great Job. Ive never had the squeak but will use this if needed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ha! I'm going to have to try this out as mine does this every once in a while and it's damn annoying!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
very cool...i'll have to try this...good job

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wish I would known this 2 weeks ago when I shelled out 42 bucks for another new belt :mad:. Good find!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Only get a momentary squeek when I shut her down. Any ideas???

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Good work, i'll hafta give that a try cause mine is really annoying to me

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just added this to my trouble shooting guide in the Helms repair manuals, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
mwswarrior;1603416; said:
Only get a momentary squeek when I shut her down. Any ideas???

Thanks
Engines are built so tight that when you shut the truck off the internals (pistion, crank shaft ) stop right away. The accesories (AC, Alternator) are still turning. The belt squeeks because it slides to a stop very quickly.

No worries, its normal...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wow you are the man! Thats some really troubleshooting if I ever hear it. Good work! My dealer said there was dirt in the grooves and the squeak is still there I'm gonna give this a shot

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm going to have to have McRat try this on Wendy :D

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
:hail:
fearnot;1600010; said:
So after PS bracket adjustments and PS pulley adjustments by the dealer, My belt squeaked just as bad as ever.

So I got curious. I got out the video camera and videoed my belt as is was squeaking. I slowed the video down on my laptop and I noticed that the squeak/chirp was timed perfectly with a flash of the white letters on the back of the belt.

Hhmmmm, I wondered. With a new gatorback belt in my back seat, I had nothing to loose.

I sanded the clear coating and the white lettering off of that part of the belt. I used a rotory gasket cleaning pad and some 120 sand paper.

Squeak/chirp has not been back since, no matter how cold it is. My new gator back is now a spare.

For you guys that have not found a fix, give this a try.

Ian

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Nope, was not the silver bullit for mine :( still a squeaker, dealer here I come....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts