Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
So I now have 90K miles on my 11 year old LMM (truck in signature). We tow a 35' travel trailer to Colorado annually frorm Central Texas and are headed there for three months this July. Anyway, I think it's belt replacement time. Belt looks fine from above but I would rather be safe than sorry on this trip. I did a lot of research a long while back in order to carry a spare with me on these annual trips, and chose the Continental shown in the attached pic. I was thinking of just using this one as my replacement but was wondering if there is a better choice nowadays for my LMM. I know there's lots of older forum opinions for various belts but now that some time has passed, are there some better belts than others these days for an LMM? Is this one still a good one to use?
Thanks,
Mike

belt.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,083 Posts
An idler pulley will fail (and take the belt) long before the belt will break. There are two and you'd better change them both when you install the new belt.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An idler pulley will fail (and take the belt) long before the belt will break. There are two and you'd better change them both when you install the new belt.
Thanks, Brian, I'll put those in plan. Is there as much opinions about which brand(s) of those to use as with the belt>
Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
18,083 Posts
No preference on idler pulleys. I've used OEM, Dorman and NAPA. I shopped by price and availability, and none have proven inferior.
After all, it's just a 620S bearing within the pulley like you'd find in a lawnmower deck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts