Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-5 this morning. Don't have anywhere to plug in so I cycled the glow plugs a few times and she fired right up. Let it idle for a minute or so and then turned the elevated idle on and let her warm up for 10-15 min. Attitude said ECT was 120 when I took off. Drove like a grandma like I always do when its cold. In third gear I gave it a little throttle around 1700 RPM and it just fell on its face, I let off and try again but its the same. CEL comes on. I turn the edge to stock and it seems to fix it. I coast down a hill and at the bottom get back on the throttle and again the hesitation. I pull over and shut her off. After a few seconds I start her up and again the same thing. I'm only a mile from work so I decide to limp it there. It seems after the ECT warmed above 150 according to the attitude it ran fine. I didn't hammer on it to find out but it didn't hesitate. I'm going to get the codes read hopefully at lunch or right after work at the latest. Any ideas on what happened. Just cold temps hopefully? I know the codes will tell me more but I figured one of you guys would know :(

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just got a call from a friend that is having the same problem. My guess is that the fuel is gelling and causing a low fuel pressure (1093). After you check your codes let us know what it was.

If that is the problem, change the fuel filter and try adding some fuel additive such as stanadyne.

Stay warm

·
Registered
390 Posts
Gelled fuel. Maybe the Edge unit some don't like the extreme temps. Still voting on 1093 w/ gelled fuel.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I use stanadyne performance formula at the recommended rate. A guy that works for me and my dad had his fuel gel yesterday, I don't know if he uses any additive. I'll let you guys know, hopefully its that simple :eek::

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you guys are right. We are having all kinds of problems with diesel at our farm. I'll be driving one of our 8.1L farm trucks until it warms up.

·
Registered
706 Posts
fuel filter. buddy had same problem new fuel filter put in some howes fuel concentrate (get that at truck stops) let it warm up and cel shuts off. your code will probablly be a low fuel rail pressure do to gelled up filter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well found out the place we buy fuel from blended it wrong. We buy in bulk for our semis. They have quite a few places that buy off them, the highway deptartment and many farmers. They called my dad this morning and said not to drive anywhere. They are bringing us some anti-gel. That should get me home then I'll change the fuel filter and let it sit in our heated shop to be safe.

·
Registered
706 Posts
well at least you figured it out and they in formed you thats cool. that gelled up fuel leaves nasty stuff in your filter. thats good to know that it is the fuel.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Chevy HD;1573151; said:
I think you guys are right. We are having all kinds of problems with diesel at our farm. I'll be driving one of our 8.1L farm trucks until it warms up.
Or just run winterized fuel with plenty of additive and you won't have any issues.Don't like to hear of a good Dmax being used as a driveway queen.I've been down to --20 using Howes,winterized #2---no problems.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cory e 05 dmax;1573189; said:
well at least you figured it out and they in formed you thats cool. that gelled up fuel leaves nasty stuff in your filter. thats good to know that it is the fuel.
Yeah atleast they owned up to their mistake. Saves me the worry and headache of wondering what is wrong. It still screwed us up with our semis. My dad is pretty mad since this could of been easily prevented. They just didn't expect it to get this cold I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have two 1200 gal that were filled on Saturday. Both tanks are slush. What a start to the week :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
-8 here outside Chicago this morning and same symptoms on my truck. I've only had the truck 5 months, so dmax in the winter is new to me. I thought it might be fuel issue. Fuel filter was changed a couple months ago when I changed oil and trans filter. The truck has to sit outside unfortunately as the muscle cars sit in the garage. I'm not running any fuel additive, however, I plan to plug the engine block heater in tonight. It was hesitating real bad so I limped it back home and let it warm up in the driveway. I have a 20 mile drive to work and it was hesitating as I approached the exit ramp roughly 5 miles from work. I just went out for lunch (temp up to +3) and noticed a slight hesitation again. The CEL is on all the time since it started hesitating this morning. Not sure when I'll be able to get with my brother and have him read the codes for me (he's a mechanic and has the tool to read them). truck only has 42K trouble free miles and I love it. Thanks guys as it does make sense that fuel is an issue considering these temps.

Chris

·
Registered
288 Posts
Same problem here... I finally chose to buy the diesel fuel conditioner... dumped the whole quart in and topped off the tank... been limping the truck since Sunday... you have to get a feel for how to "feather" the throttle to get it up to speed.... Try to avoid red lights at all costs.... I also finally plugged the truck in for the first time after two years... this damn cold Chicago weather is definitely not good for diesels, especially my GMC Dmax!!!!! I'm thinking of warming the fuel filter with a heat gun tomorrow morning to see if after warming maybe it'll run past 2000 RPMs??? The fuel filter life on the DIC reads 80%, it maybe has 2000 miles on it... What do you guys think... will this work?????

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
fiveslo;1575320; said:
Same problem here... I finally chose to buy the diesel fuel conditioner... dumped the whole quart in and topped off the tank... been limping the truck since Sunday... you have to get a feel for how to "feather" the throttle to get it up to speed.... Try to avoid red lights at all costs.... I also finally plugged the truck in for the first time after two years... this damn cold Chicago weather is definitely not good for diesels, especially my GMC Dmax!!!!! I'm thinking of warming the fuel filter with a heat gun tomorrow morning to see if after warming maybe it'll run past 2000 RPMs??? The fuel filter life on the DIC reads 80%, it maybe has 2000 miles on it... What do you guys think... will this work?????
Don't mean to lecture you,but it's called preventive maintenance for a reason.Every fill you should be running treatment,now you're panicking so you dumped way more than you needed but that's OK--it won't hurt.Yes to the heat gun--I've helped friends with a torch--gets it done much faster but you have to be careful.You'll be up and running in no time,drain some crud out of your filter drain and change the filter ASAP.If you run treatment steadily,the Dmax will laugh at cold weather.Right now it's laughing at you for not taking care of it. Good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went home lastnight and changed my fuel filter. Also added some extra additive even though I was running the recommended rate already. I left it in our heated shop overnight and took a farm truck home. She should be ready to go this afternoon when I get off work. Just in time for 6" of snow.

Fiveslo I would also suggest changing your filter. Its not going to get better unless you warm it up. Even then your filter is going to have a waxy residue left on it from the fuel gelling which will restrict fuel flow. And run additive in every tank. I do but it still wasn't enough in this case because the diesel wasn't blended right for this abnormal cold weather we have here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
[email protected];1575393; said:
Don't mean to lecture you,but it's called preventive maintenance for a reason.Every fill you should be running treatment,now you're panicking so you dumped way more than you needed but that's OK--it won't hurt.Yes to the heat gun--I've helped friends with a torch--gets it done much faster but you have to be careful.You'll be up and running in no time,drain some crud out of your filter drain and change the filter ASAP.If you run treatment steadily,the Dmax will laugh at cold weather.Right now it's laughing at you for not taking care of it. Good luck.
Yes, my Dmax is laughing at me alright.. driving gassers all of my existence, and never once did I bother using the block heater... anyways, the interesting thing here is that the truck set no codes, according to my MT2500 Snap On scanner... no history codes either.... I was "hoping"... not really.... to find the damned 1093.... but nothing.... Anyone else see this???? What is the "right" amount of diesel treatment to add to full tank fillup???? Another thing, when I put the truck into neutral and push on the accelerator pedal, I'm able to rev past 2000 RPMs, yet when it drive, the truck just won't go past 2000... question is WHY????

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
fiveslo;1577502; said:
Yes, my Dmax is laughing at me alright.. driving gassers all of my existence, and never once did I bother using the block heater... anyways, the interesting thing here is that the truck set no codes, according to my MT2500 Snap On scanner... no history codes either.... I was "hoping"... not really.... to find the damned 1093.... but nothing.... Anyone else see this???? What is the "right" amount of diesel treatment to add to full tank fillup???? Another thing, when I put the truck into neutral and push on the accelerator pedal, I'm able to rev past 2000 RPMs, yet when it drive, the truck just won't go past 2000... question is WHY????
The ''right'' amount depends on whose treatment you're using.My highly non-scientific method pouring my Howes is slightly more than what Howes minimum amount is.But like I previously said,more won't hurt at all.The engine is not under load at an idle-that's why she'll go past 2 K.

·
Registered
288 Posts
[email protected];1577567; said:
The ''right'' amount depends on whose treatment you're using.My highly non-scientific method pouring my Howes is slightly more than what Howes minimum amount is.But like I previously said,more won't hurt at all.The engine is not under load at an idle-that's why she'll go past 2 K.
Finally pulled the filter this morning.. major pain in the a--... I wonder which "engineer" at Isuzu and/or GM figured putting the filter in such an accessible location.... I curse each time I have to do fuel filter job!!!!! I cut open the "old" filter only had some maybe 3200 miles on it... and it looked very clean... What does a "waxed" filter look like??? I'll see how the truck runs now... I sure am hoping for the best.. Now that I've learned that additives are necessary, I'll be putting my Dmax on a new diet....

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
fiveslo;1580551; said:
Finally pulled the filter this morning.. major pain in the a--... I wonder which "engineer" at Isuzu and/or GM figured putting the filter in such an accessible location.... I curse each time I have to do fuel filter job!!!!! I cut open the "old" filter only had some maybe 3200 miles on it... and it looked very clean... What does a "waxed" filter look like??? I'll see how the truck runs now... I sure am hoping for the best.. Now that I've learned that additives are necessary, I'll be putting my Dmax on a new diet....
The pleats will look,well ''waxed'' is the best I can describe it or if it's gelled there will be nasty long ugly wormy floaters on the media,neither of which is good.Sounds like you might have other issues going on.

·
Registered
626 Posts
These new double row filters seem to plug and gell twice as fast as the old style. I had to change mine along the road the other night with less than 4k miles on it. After the filter change it ran like a champ. This was my first time with the new and improved filters and I have never had problem ever with the old style filters. Just my .02-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts